Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Changing Label Set and applying it all to all questions

• pennywaltz
  • pennywaltz's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #128597 by pennywaltz
So I just updated from 1.87 to 2.06... I created a label set (Let's say it's Yes/No).

Then I created a question and replaced the quesiton label set with the yes/no labelset.

After that was created, I went into my label set and change my yes/no labelset to yes/no/maybe. And I went back to the question and noticed it was not changed to yes/no/maybe (even though the labelset was changed). In 1.87 the change in the labelset would yield changes in all the questions that was tagged with that labelset. I think this is still an option in Version 2.06+ Build 150831, but I cant' see that option to do that? Any someone point me in the right direction?
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 4 months ago #128603 by tpartner
Please refer to the manual - "Contrary to earlier versions of LimeSurvey label sets are merely copied to the particular question as subquestion or answers. So if you change a label set after you 'used' it the changes are not propagated to the questions where a label set has been used as a template. "

- manual.limesurvey.org/Label_sets

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
8 years 4 months ago #128606 by holch
Just to add some background to tpartners link: as far as I remember, this was done because many users were not aware of the consequences of a change in the labelset changing all instances of this labelset. Suddenly in a running survey the labelset changes. Or one person thinks the labelset should be changed and this then has an impact on the surveys of others, etc.

So while this might seem cause a lot more work from the point of view of some users, it means actually less headache overall.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, tpartner
More
7 years 10 months ago #135731 by minerj
I think that the ability to change a labelset and then propagate the revised answers to questions would be extremely useful in the following scenario. I build surveys in multiple languages. The survey is built and proofed first in English and then the translations are added later. This means using labelsets with only English values to proof the survey. If the revised labelsets with all languages could be then be re-applied against the questions then I would not be faced with the task of updating the answers by re-applying the revised labelsets to every question manually.
  • tpartner
More
7 years 10 months ago #135732 by tpartner
Not possible because labelsets can be applied to question types that have sub-questions (which are database columns). You cannot add sub-questions (columns) to an activated survey.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose