Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Have Respondents See their previous answers?

• pennywaltz
  • pennywaltz's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #122750 by pennywaltz
Hi all,

I am a PhD student conducting a research using a Delphi Survey research methodology and I wondering what is the best approach is this.

Just a bit of background, so the Delphi survey uses two parts. The first part is the participant take the survey for the first time. After that first survey wave is completed, I run some basic stats (frequencies, means etc.) on the question. Then I share the results with the participants. Then the participants take the SAME survey (maybe with some minor changes or add/remove questions) the second time with their answers and they have the option to change their answers.

So I am having a bit of trouble with the second part. What is the best way for me to send the participant the second survey with their answers populated and give the participant an opportunity to change his/her answer to a question?

The only idea right now is just use one survey and wondering if a participants can change his/her answers once he/she completed the survey? I assume if the participants go back using their unique ID, they can edit it, but I am not 100% sure.
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 9 months ago #122756 by ChacoKevy
Replied by ChacoKevy on topic Have Respondents See their previous answers?
I would use the responses from the first survey as token attributes in the second survey. Then use the token attributes as field replacements in the question text of the second survey.
So if,
1st survey - Your favorite animal? Answer: Dog
2nd survey - attribute_1 = Dog.
2nd iteration of question: Your favorite animal? You previously answered {attribute_1}.
  • pennywaltz
More
8 years 9 months ago #122757 by pennywaltz
Replied by pennywaltz on topic Have Respondents See their previous answers?
Hmm I think that sounds reasonable. So where in the documentation should I look to do this? Sorry I am very new at using LimeSurvey.

So Would I export the answers from the 1st survey and then import them as token attributes and then add those attribute to the 2nd survey question?
More
8 years 9 months ago #122760 by ChacoKevy
manual.limesurvey.org/Tokens
To get you started.

You've got the concept right. I'll f/u with more detail when I get off work later.
More
8 years 9 months ago #122762 by ChacoKevy
Ok, I made a quick example to demonstrate what I'm talking about. Hop onto the demo server at demo.limesurvey.org/admin/admin.php
Once logged in, check out "Token Attributes Field Replacement"
  • pennywaltz
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #122857 by pennywaltz
Thanks Chacokevy, I just checked this (didn't get my usual email notification that there was a response_. Did you create a survey for this? since I don't see it.

Also, I am hoping this works on Version 1.87+ Build 8518. That is the version my school has on their servers... They are not updating anytime soon.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by pennywaltz. Reason: found language settings
More
8 years 9 months ago #122893 by ChacoKevy
Hi Penny,
Yeah, I did make a quick little survey to demonstrate what I was talking about, but it appears that test surveys get cleared out pretty regularly. I didn't know that, but it makes sense to keep the demo server up and running.
1.87 is pretty old! I only started using Lime at 1.90, but I'm pretty confident tokens and attribute field substitutions were already developed by that release. The link I sent along to the manual is still relevant. Best I can do at this point is to encourage you to read the manual, give it a shot, and then come back here with any problems you are having.
  • pennywaltz
More
8 years 9 months ago #122895 by pennywaltz
Thanks for your reply. I don't see a survey on the demo server labeling anything with Token. Do you have the SID for that?
More
8 years 9 months ago #122897 by ChacoKevy
No, like I said previously, it appears the demo server clears out test surveys. It isn't there anymore.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose