Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

No email sent - no smtp debug messages either

• mertensj
  • mertensj's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 3 months ago #129431 by mertensj
Hi,
in our current installation (Ubuntu 14.04, Limesurvey Version 2.06+ Build 151215) everything seems to work fine except email.
When trying to send out invitations, limesurvey claims to have sent the emails, but they haven't.
The strange thing: I turned on smtp debug, but there are no messages. See below the output.
I tried different settings (smtp, php, sendmail, tls, ssl, port 587, standard port and so on) partly just to provoke errors, but still no smtp debug.
I guess it's just a little thing I've overseen in the installation, but I have no idea where to look. So any help is appreciated.
Cheers
Jürgen

Output
Sende Einladungen...
(Sende an Teilnehmer-IDs: 6)

Einladung versandt an:6: Jürgen Mertens (mertens@esss.de)
SMTP Debug Ausgabe:

Alle E-Mails wurden gesendet.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 3 months ago #129467 by holch
The emails have been sent to one specific domain (e.g. everyone with @esss.de) or does this go to serveral providers?

What SMTP server is used?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• mertensj
More
8 years 3 months ago #129489 by mertensj
Replied by mertensj on topic No email sent - no smtp debug messages either
smtp server was smtp.1und1.de, but I also tried a different one (smtp.strato.de). Initial invitation had 6 recipients with esss.de domain. Latest tries only one email to my own address.
The server runs additionaly a bugtracking software from where emails are sent. So firewall or network connection is not an issue.

Maybe one thing to mention, the screen 'all emails sent' (with empty debug) appears immediately after i pressed the button send invitation. I usually would expect a delay because of connection timeout or just sending emails takes some time.
Thanks
Jürgen
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 2 months ago #129506 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic No email sent - no smtp debug messages either
You set the SMTP server at the LimeSurvey configuration ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • mertensj
More
8 years 2 months ago #129511 by mertensj
Yes, I attached a jpg with my configuration.

• DenisChenu
More
8 years 2 months ago #129534 by DenisChenu

mertensj wrote: Yes, I attached a jpg with my configuration.

Your method is set to PHP .... then not use SMTP but PHP default.

This mean YOUR server say "SMTP is OK, no debug". Set it to SMTP to use SMTP....

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • mertensj
More
8 years 2 months ago #129537 by mertensj
As I initially wrote, I've tried different settings (smtp, php, sendmail, tls, ssl, port 587, standard port) partly wrong just to see an error message.
I'm going to drop the installation and start from scratch.
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 2 months ago #129538 by DenisChenu
Hi,

If you want to use SMTP : set it to SMTP.
Do you have an access to the SMTP log server ?
Did you try top activate SMTP and set debug and smtpdebug to 'complete' ?

Denis

More
8 years 1 month ago #130169 by Jakesswd
Replied by Jakesswd on topic No email sent - no smtp debug messages either
Hi

I am adding to this topic as I am having a similar issue and this is all I could find when doing a search. I can also add further details to the issue.

I am hosting Limesurvey at Hetzner (shared hosting) in South Africa. The installation went fine and I configured email in the global settings and the same as mertensj tried a couple of configs but could not get email to work. I created a user with password on the shared domain to authenticate SMTP and when I asked Hetzner to check their mail logs the <from> address was not the address I configured in Global settings but was 'your-email@example.net'

I grep’d for 'your-email@example.net' and only found it in email.php and realised that Limesurvey was not writing to the config file. When I read the comments in email.php it said not to make any edits in email.php as they would be over written but to add the lines to config.php. I had a look at config.php but I am not sure where in the file to add the lines.

As I am running Limesurvey on shared hosting I can’t get to any log files without contacting support. All the requisites passed 100% on installation (MySQL, Apache, PHP), please let me know what else I need to tell you about the environment.

Any assistance would be appreciated
Jakes
More
8 years 1 month ago #130209 by Jakesswd
Replied by Jakesswd on topic No email sent - no smtp debug messages either
Update

On Hetzner’s shared hosting mail relay is denied if the <from> address doesn’t match the domain. To clarify my precious post I left the default settings in the mail section of the install as it said I could change them later.

To work around the problem I reinstalled Limesurvey and entered the correct details during installation and the <from> address is now correct so email works.

Jakes

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose