Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Unable to remove "This question is mandatory" text

• Rramjet
  • Rramjet's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 1 week ago - 10 years 1 week ago #106445 by Rramjet
Version 2.00+ Build 131009

Hi all -

I am a newbie, so apologies in advance!

I have been creating a survey and have it almost complete. I went back to edit a section (Section 2 of 10) and changed the questions that were there to suit my new paradigm and then added some new questions onto the end (a couple of Yes/No, some List (radio) and some list (dropdown). For all questions I marked them as mandatory.

Now I had been doing this throughout the survey (some 10 parts and 150+ questions) and when I previewed each question, each section and also when I tested the survey (before I edited Section 2 as above), I saw a red asterix at the beginning of each question to indicate that it was a mandatory question.

Now however, when I preview the section and when I test the survey, I see the text "This question is mandatory" in bold red letters beneath each question in Section 2 (between the question and the response set). Not very user freindly at all. I do not see it in any other section and interestingly, if I preview the question on its own, I only see the red asterix and not the text (i.e. it looks normal).

I do remember I had this problem very early on - and somehow resolved it on my own - but silly me never noted down the resolution (because, I think, as I remember it, I thought it was a simple fix (... at the time...) but now (of course!) ... I cannot find that "fix" again!

Has anyone run across the same issue and does anyone know how to resolve it? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Roger

Edit To Add: I have just discovered that it actually does not display the "This question is mandatory" text when I test the survey! Now it displays only in Section 2 in test-question-group mode (but does not for other question groups) - so still a mystery...
Last edit: 10 years 1 week ago by Rramjet. Reason: Edit To Add:
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 1 week ago #106448 by holch
This is probably a cache problem.

This text should only appear when you submit the question / section / page but have not respondet a mandadory question.

Clearing your cache should resolve this.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Rramjet
More
10 years 1 week ago #106470 by Rramjet
Thanks for your reply holch -

Sorry, but clearing the cache (Firefox) did not solve the problem.

I cannot understand why the bold red "This question is mandatory" only appears in this question groups (2 of 10). As far as I can tell there is absolutely no difference between the parameters of the questions in groupm 2 and the parameters of questions in other groups. I does go away when I deselct "Mandatory" (set it to "No"). but appears again as soon as I reset (or create a new question, etc). Most frustrating!
  • DenisChenu
More
10 years 1 week ago #106473 by DenisChenu
Holch speak for $_SESSION cache i think.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Rramjet
More
10 years 1 week ago #106484 by Rramjet
Thanks Denis -

I'll try that as soon as I have found out how to do it! LOL.
I'll Google it, but is there a quick and easy way?
  • DenisChenu
More
10 years 1 week ago #106491 by DenisChenu
Just use the newtest system.

Add newtest/Y in url

Or :
- Cloise your browser
- Open your browser again,
- Test the survey again.

Remind your user don't have admin access and do a survey only one time.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • Rramjet
More
10 years 1 week ago #106508 by Rramjet
If only it were that simple...

And please accept my apologies, but I simply don't understand the logic of it being something to do with the cache (any cache).

...and I am designing the survey to be able to be repeat administered (tracking change over time is very important to us) - so are you telling me that is going to be a problem also?

...anyway, my problem remaains: I have the text "This question is mandatory" displayed in bold red letters betrween the question ans the response set in just one group of ten and I simply do not know how to get rid of it. I do not understand why it should be there in the first place (i.e. where does it come from?)

Perhaps if someone can explain where it comes from, then how to remove it should be a logical extension. No?
  • tpartner
More
10 years 1 week ago #106510 by tpartner
Can you attach a test down survey containing only that group?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • tpartner
More
10 years 1 week ago #106511 by tpartner
Oh, and your template if using a custom template.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Rramjet
More
10 years 1 week ago #106513 by Rramjet
Thank you tpartner - that sounds like a good idea -

...Only you might have to tell me how to do that.... or perhaps I cannot do it... I was invited to be a "co-adnministrator" of this survey, so I just log in and start designing, etc. I am not sure where the survey files (templates, etc) are actually held (I can see the template and (presumably) can edit it.

...really I don't know that much about it - but I am an extremely quick study - tell me what to do and I will make it so!

Meanwhile I will email the survey owner (I am Australian, in Melbourne - she is German, in Hamburg - we are collaborating on this project) so the time differences are going to screw with us more than they have been already... I'll get back to you ASAP.

But if you can provide any info in the meantime I would appreciate it. Thanks.
  • tpartner
More
10 years 1 week ago #106515 by tpartner
Assuming you have sufficient permissions, you can export the survey - manual.limesurvey.org/Creating_surveys_-...ction#Common_Buttons

And export the template - manual.limesurvey.org/The_template_edito...rt.2FCopy_a_Template

Cheers,
Tony Partner

• Rramjet
More
10 years 1 week ago #106516 by Rramjet
Thank you!

Here they are...

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose