Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Photo upload

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 11 months ago #167179 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Photo upload
@jelo: Backwards compatibility? I assume that any change to the API would only be applied to 3.x and newer, while Aaskoura mentions that many clients that use Offline-Surveys still use LS 2.x.

However, I agree with you. For me and my use cases, FTP access on every device is a deal breaker for using Offlinesurveys. Actually the apps also need a very open access to the Limesurvey installation. This might work if all the devices are from your company and installed by someone you trust. But ideally I would be able to request the interviewer to install the app and then just send them the survey file to install on their tablet. Because when you do research in a big country it is not very practical to send devices over 800-1000km to the interviewers. It would be a lot better if the interviewer could use its own device and just intall Offlinesurveys and import the respective survey. This is how most other tools that I know work.

But currently, as it is, I wouldn't want to give access to the LS backend to every interviewer (not sure if this has changed, but it was this way when I last tested).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 11 months ago #167285 by aaskoura
Replied by aaskoura on topic Photo upload
It is a very valid point, the need to share sensitive data with people outside your organisation. I though this problem is addressed by share survey feature. it produces an encrypted file with all required setup ".lso file" www.offlinesurveys.com/ufaqs/share-survey-offlinesurveys-users
Don't you think it addresses this concern?
  • holch
More
5 years 11 months ago #167294 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Photo upload
Hi Aaskoura,

I haven't played with the Offlinesurveys app for a while, so I guess this was implemented after my tests. I had mentioned this issue to Mazi. Because besides the case of companies sending interviewers/datacollectors with company tablets (setup by the proper company), we often see the case where we just want to send the questionnaire to the interviewer which might be spread out over the whole country (not feasible send tablets through the whole country and back).

From what I have read, the .lso file could resolve this problem. I'll have a look at this when I have a little bit more time.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 years 11 months ago #167296 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Photo upload

aaskoura wrote: www.offlinesurveys.com/ufaqs/share-survey-offlinesurveys-users
Don't you think it addresses this concern?

Interesting feature. But what does encryption mean technically?

The whole Offlinesurvey app is a bit under the radar. To me it look like a promising app for users which normally doesn't use LimeSurvey. The app seems to drives interest to LimeSurvey and not the other way around. But that should be not part of this thread.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • cbranch
  • cbranch's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 10 months ago #168127 by cbranch
Replied by cbranch on topic Photo upload
Sorry for the late reply. I tested it on two android phones... the result was the same.
More
5 years 10 months ago #168581 by aaskoura
Can you email me the public URL + credentials to test it on one of our devices?
check the support email on offlinesurveys.com
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
5 years 10 months ago #168585 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Photo upload

holch wrote: However, I agree with you. For me and my use cases, FTP access on every device is a deal breaker for using Offlinesurveys. Actually the apps also need a very open access to the Limesurvey installation. This might work if all the devices are from your company and installed by someone you trust. But ideally I would be able to request the interviewer to install the app and then just send them the survey file to install on their tablet.

Thanks for your valuable feedback everyone.

@holch: The app actually does not require that many privileges, see www.offlinesurveys.com/ufaqs/which-limes...d-for-offlinesurveys . A Limesurvey user who is allowed to add responses and read the survey settings is sufficient and FTP access is limited to the /upload/surveys folder and only needed in case you use questions which are file based like the "camera" question to take a picture.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • cbranch
  • cbranch's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #170907 by cbranch
Replied by cbranch on topic Photo upload
Hi, I did send you the access data. Any success so far?
More
5 years 6 months ago #173637 by aaskoura
We introduced a new Camera question (on 1.43) which will accept higher resolution (Android.requestCamera2 instead of Android.requestCamera)
The first input is the raw bitmap file size before applying JPEG compression at 95% quality... max is still 4096 (4MB before conversion to JPEG)
watch out for the file size, it can grow at 4096 input to 1MB per image after compression. OfflineSurveys can run out of memory if it is on old devices, also file upload can be challenging
www.offlinesurveys.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/camera2.lsq
More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #179206 by resolute
Replied by resolute on topic Photo upload
I have the same issue on my miguer-m1 ( www.chinaprice.es/phone/14461/miguer-m1 )
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by resolute.
More
5 years 2 months ago #179208 by aaskoura
can you share the code for the camera question on your survey?
More
5 years 2 months ago #179275 by aaskoura
please use this www.offlinesurveys.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/camera2.lsq it should improve the quality substantially... you can increase resolution input in Android.requestCamera2(2048, "CameraIMG-{QID}", inputID) to 4096

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose