Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Is there a good "offline" Survey-Software?

• TrevorNoah
  • TrevorNoah's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago #185595 by TrevorNoah
Is there a good "offline" Survey-Software? was created by TrevorNoah
Hi! Im looking for a easy to use Web-Survey Software for Feedback on our new Workflow-System for about 1000 employees ...I cannot use services like Survey-Monkey or Doodle because the information should not leave the company.
Therefore im looking for a "LAN-Version" of Survey-Money and the like ...
Preferably Windows Software (R2 2012, MSSQL)
Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 10 months ago #185596 by Joffm
Replied by Joffm on topic Is there a good "offline" Survey-Software?
The question is hard to answer, especially since we all are influenced here by LimeSurvey.
What do you think is a good survey software?
  • The questionnaire is quick to create with drag and drop?
  • The questionnaire can be imported as script?
  • There is a sophisticated participant and panel management?
  • There are many different types of questions?
  • Is it flexible to extend using javascript?
  • You are free to create your own preferred Look and Feel of the questionnaire?
  • and, and, and.
Everyone has his own ideas and wishes.

But I'm not quite sure what you really want.
Does saving data on your own server mean "leave the company"?
If not, the community edition is installed on your own server,
If yes, you can do a local install of LimeSurvey with XAMPP. (because you speak of LAN version)

And for a real offline solution, there is www.offlinesurveys.com .

Best regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • holch
More
4 years 10 months ago #185599 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Is there a good "offline" Survey-Software?
I think your explanation is a little missleading. Offline would mean there is not network connection what so ever. This would be a task for the offlinesurveys.com app or the XAMPP version of Limesurvey.

However, reading your whole post, I think you rather search for a survey software that can be installed on premise (your own server in house). Most survey tools out there are SaaS, so you pay for the usage of the software, which is installed on the servers of the provider. At Limesurvey this would be the Limesurvey Pro Packages provided by the Limesurvey GmbH.

What you are looking for is a software that you install on your server in house and then your employees can fill out an online questionnaire from within your local network and it should not be accesible via the internet, correct?

There are very few packages out there that allow this. Limesurvey is one of them. You can install the community edition on your own server and you can then configure your network so that LS can not be accessed from outside your local network (how to do that is task of your network/server adminstrator.

What you need is a server that runs Apache/PHP/MySQL (you might be able to run LS on ISS and with other databases, but I am not familiar with which of the combinations work best. The ideal combination is usually LAMP, because most developers develop and test on a LAMP environment, afaik.

There have been some problems in the past with the built in Comfort Update, when LS had no access to the internet what so ever. Comfort Update tried to connect to its update server upon login and so the login process took forever. Not sure if this has been fixed by now. There was a solution around it though, if I recall right (I think you had to make a special setting in the config.php to avoid Comfort Update trying to connect to the update server upon login). Have a look in the forum about that.

I am currently not aware of any other survey software package that allows installation on the own server. Some that had this option have dropped it some years ago. Due to GDPR today they probably wish they hadn't, because I assume that demand for on premise installations are inreasing.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• DenisChenu
More
4 years 10 months ago #185604 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Is there a good "offline" Survey-Software?
LimeSurvey work on IIS server with MSSQL with PHP7.1 (i think i must update)

There can have specific issues, but it's fixed after is reported.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
4 years 10 months ago #185636 by jelo

holch wrote: I am currently not aware of any other survey software package that allows installation on the own server. Some that had this option have dropped it some years ago. Due to GDPR today they probably wish they hadn't, because I assume that demand for on premise installations are inreasing.

The movement towards SaaS was mostly driven by customers (limited budget, adhoc demand, no IT support inhouse ready for survey software).

Depending on the IT support TrevorNoah can get or offer for development stacks, there are certain solutions:

OpenSource:
LimeSurvey (PHP, MSSQL)

Survey Project (C#, ASP.NET, MSSQL)
www.surveyproject.org/

Depending on the surveys, a CMS with a formplugin could be an option too:
Wordpress or Drupal can be converted into a survey tool via thirdparty plugins (WebForms, NinjaForms, GravityForms)

ClosedSource with OnPremise option (depends on your budget):
www.voxco.com/on-premise-survey-tools/ (IIS only,NET,MSSQL)
www.soscisurvey.de/en/local (Apache,PHP,MySQL)
www.sawtoothsoftware.com/products/online-surveys (Windowsbased Tool, which creates script (Apache/Perl/MySQL or IIS/Perl/MSSQL)

There are more tools, but mostly with enterprise selling (like Voxco).

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
4 years 10 months ago #185663 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Is there a good "offline" Survey-Software?

The movement towards SaaS was mostly driven by customers (limited budget, adhoc demand, no IT support inhouse ready for survey software).

I agree. Never the less, some projects stopped their on premise offer (probably because of the lack of demand as you said). I think now this demand should be growing and it will take a while until they have their on premise offers up and running again.

Thank you for listing those tools.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose