Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

From 2.05 to latest

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #182037 by holch
Replied by holch on topic From 2.05 to latest

Holch and Denis are not part of LimeSurvey GmbH. So write directly to support@limesurvey.org or open a support ticket.

Yep, just a voluntary moderator in the forum, doing this for fun. At least for me. I don't know how much impact Denis's voice is heard when it comes to decisions. But he is not part of the Limesurvey GmbH either.

Just like Jelo said: If you have based your business on Limesurvey, you might want to speak to Carsten, as only he might be able to give you a little bit more information on the direction and how you can ensure your needs are met in the future and how you can be more involved in the project.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: hvgard
The topic has been locked.
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #182038 by hvgard
Replied by hvgard on topic From 2.05 to latest
Exactly. We have invested lots of time, money and effort on developing templates and tools around it for 2.x, 2.x.x. The TFR stuff is great for that but as long as that is not ported to 3.x or 4.x and stable and supported we will stick with 2.6.7 and need an LTS. We have customers that run continuous for 7 years now and one that utilizes a 5-server scalable cluster with a tested load of 5000 visitors per minute. I can't risk to gamble with that .....

PS: Still LS is the only survey system that supports this, hence we need a SUPPORTED LTS.

Harold van Garderen
The following user(s) said Thank You: pellyadolfo
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #182041 by hvgard
Haha, another confusion :-). One expects the company to keep an eye on the forum too. BTW very happy with how we support each other here. LS-GMBH could never achieve that. So I really like this GMBG/Forum combi!!!

Harold van Garderen
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #182043 by hvgard
Why is it better to move to 3.x from 2.6.x? Better for what? I mainly see problems and instabilities and gaps.

Harold van Garderen
The following user(s) said Thank You: pellyadolfo
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 4 weeks ago - 5 years 4 weeks ago #182045 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic From 2.05 to latest
I mean : it's better to move from 2.6lts to 3.X than to 2.7X …

3.X have some great improvments : a11y issue, theme manager,
And 2.6lts admin look 15 years old ;)

PS : remind too : 2.6lts even on my repo can have security issue not reported but well know on some internet space.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 5 years 4 weeks ago by DenisChenu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hvgard
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #182053 by hvgard
Haha, I *LOVE* the admin. It is very productive and still seems better than 3.x (sorry dev guys). I heard rumours it has improved lately, but I still hear it is less than 2.x.

I seriously doubt a responsive admin UI is better for LS. Just like word, pages, excel, wordpress and lots of other packages, we all use it mainly on a laptop with wide screen and lots of pixels. Who edits on a tablet or phone?

And the template manager still seems to change every once in a while. As a business user that scares me.

Harold van Garderen
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu, pellyadolfo
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #182073 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic From 2.05 to latest

hvgard wrote: As a business user that scares me.

The more you know, the more you might get scared.
You will have to write off part of your investments in 2.6.7. All themes and most workarounds will be worthless.
If you want to keep 2.6.7. alive with EOL of PHP5 and Yii1, it will depend on the timeframe if that is a mission impossible. We don't know your cashflow, so it might be worth the effort.

Read this manual.limesurvey.org/LimeSurvey_roadmap .
If you see the demand to open a User interest group for Business users (LS UIG Business), feel free to open a new thread e.g. in development.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #182075 by DenisChenu

hvgard wrote: It is very nice that Denis supports v2.6.7 LTS, but I assume I'm a Limesurvey customer, not Denis (don't take it personal please :-)).

No, issue :) and totally right :)

hvgard wrote: As a customer

What do you mean by Customer ? I think LimeSurvey GMBH customer are only those
1. Hosted on limesurvey (with more than 25 response by month)
2. Have a ConfortUpdate (premieum or more) account

If i remind, it can be different in Germany about legal, but i think LimeSurvey GMBH take more care of this customers (like i take more core of my clients for developemnts).

hvgard wrote: …
PS: Still LS is the only survey system that supports this…

Really intersetion to hear :)

hvgard wrote: …
I seriously doubt a responsive admin UI is better for LS. Just like word, pages, excel, wordpress and lots of other packages, we all use it mainly on a laptop with wide screen and lots of pixels. Who edits on a tablet or phone?

One of my client (using LimeSurvey since 1.70 and before) move to last version because their client like the new admin UI ;) (before they say «your tool is too oldy for us»).

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
More
5 years 4 weeks ago #182083 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic From 2.05 to latest
An official statement can be found under this link:

www.limesurvey.org/about-limesurvey/surv...ey-version-lifecycle

LimeSurvey 2.6.x (formerly 2.06) - CE support ended March 2018; LimeSurvey Professional support until end of 2018
LimeSurvey 2.57 - CE support ended March 2018; LimeSurvey Professional support until end of 2019
LimeSurvey 3.0 - LTS Version - CE support until end of 2019; LimeSurvey Professional support until end of 2020
LimeSurvey 4.0 - Non-LTS Version - launch approximately end of 2018 - beginning of 2019
LimeSurvey 5.0 - tba
LimeSurvey 6.0 - tba

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: cdorin, tassoman
More
4 years 7 months ago #188800 by tassoman
Replied by tassoman on topic From 2.05 to latest

jelo wrote: LimeSurvey 3.0 - LTS Version - CE support until end of 2019; LimeSurvey Professional support until end of 2020
LimeSurvey 4.0 - Non-LTS Version - launch approximately end of 2018 - beginning of 2019

I was wondering about versioning and changelog.
Our concern is about introduction of new features that we should audit for security, before deploying.
I put here some questions and doubts:

a) Are you using Semantic Versioning ?

Do you only add new features inside the mayor release? Can we go green updating minor versions? (3.x.y)

aa) Looks like LS-CE isn't LTS, support will end with 2019, while 4.0 doesn't look stable yet.

What happens to CE users after 2019? Must they migrate directly to 4.x asap?

b) Is there any changelog web page?

I can’t see any CHANGELOG.MD file inside the Github repository neither in this website navigation menu.. I would like to integrate changelog notations with our deployments.

«All your survey answers are belong to us »
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 7 months ago #188801 by DenisChenu

tassoman wrote: a) Are you using Semantic Versioning ?

Only since 3.X ;)

tassoman wrote: Do you only add new features inside the mayor release? Can we go green updating minor versions? (3.x.y)

Yes, but error can happen (but then it fixed when reported)

tassoman wrote: aa) Looks like LS-CE isn't LTS, support will end with 2019, while 4.0 doesn't look stable yet.

I think (my opinion) it muts be updated when 4.X is really out …

tassoman wrote: b) Is there any changelog web page?

github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/blob/ma...cs/release_notes.txt :)

The following user(s) said Thank You: tassoman
  • holch
More
4 years 7 months ago #188806 by holch
Replied by holch on topic From 2.05 to latest

while 4.0 doesn't look stable yet.

Well, there isn't a "stable" version out yet, so no surprise here.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose