Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Major translation contribution, but done the wrong way?

• oleggorfinkel
  • oleggorfinkel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #184731 by oleggorfinkel
Hi, guys. Today, I set out to significantly expand and improve the existing ES-MX (Mexican Spanish) translation for LimeSurvey, but instead of opening the online version on the translate.limesurvey.org/ page (as per the Manual), I downloaded the .po file directly from www.limesurvey.org/community/contribute/translations-status and then edited it with Poedit. Now, I am not sure how to integrate my changes into the ongoing project (or if it's even possible :( given the way I have edited the file).

Please find attached the updated file below for your use/reference.

I really did a LOT of work on the translation today -- I sure hope it doesn't get lost. Please advise...

Thank you!

Oleg G.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by oleggorfinkel. Reason: Minor correction
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 10 months ago #184734 by tpartner
I would contact support directly - www.limesurvey.org/customer-support/contact-us

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #184738 by DenisChenu
In translate.limesurvey.org/ logued with your acocunt : you can import po or mo file.

Maybe need to be language validator ?

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by DenisChenu. Reason: Add pic
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #184739 by oleggorfinkel

tpartner wrote: I would contact support directly - www.limesurvey.org/customer-support/contact-us

Done. Let's see what they say. Thanks...

Oleg G.
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 10 months ago #184741 by oleggorfinkel

DenisChenu wrote: In translate.limesurvey.org/ logued with your acocunt : you can import po or mo file.

Maybe need to be language validator ?

Hi Denis,

Should I open the existing ES-MX file on that page and then just import into it? Will that overwrite the whole file, or just those segments that match in the original?

What's confusing is that the version of the file that appears in the online editor seems to be different from the one I had downloaded via the www.limesurvey.org/community/contribute/translations-status page. The online one shows "4393 strings, 72% translated" while the downloaded file had 3845 strings, with 88% translated (after my edits, it's up to 94%). Why would these two versions be so different? And how should I do the import under the circumstances?

Oleg G.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #184744 by DenisChenu
You can set the new status to Waiting (if you are language validator).

About difference : i think it's related to the last github translation commit. The online are most up to date …

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by DenisChenu.
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #184749 by oleggorfinkel

DenisChenu wrote: You can set the new status to Waiting (if you are language validator).

About difference : i think it's related to the last github translation commit. The online are most up to date …

Well, I am not a designated "validator," but if that's what's needed for me to be able to import the translation, then it's fine. How do I get on the validator list? I saw something about that in the manual, and I remenber it saying that validators need to commit at least an hour a week. I don't know if I can offer that level of commitment right now, but I'd like to help out at least with integrating what I've already done.

In any case, if I were to import my translation into the existing online file, will it overwrite the whole file or just the strings that match in the original? In other words, can I do a partial import?

Oleg G.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by oleggorfinkel.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #184750 by DenisChenu

oleggorfinkel wrote: In other words, can I do a partial import?

Yes ,

And better set it to Waiting, then you can validate after (if you are a validator)

Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by DenisChenu.
  • oleggorfinkel
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #184765 by oleggorfinkel

DenisChenu wrote:

oleggorfinkel wrote: In other words, can I do a partial import?

Yes ,

And better set it to Waiting, then you can validate after (if you are a validator)

I have written to the translation team asking how I can get the "validator" designation in order to be able to do the import. Or can you make that change for me? Thanks for your help.

By the way, when I open the online translation page for this language, I do NOT see the Import link at all, only Export (see attached screen capture).

Oleg G.
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by oleggorfinkel.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 10 months ago #184779 by DenisChenu
No , i'm not validator for spanish …

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose