Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Why do my imports fail?

• pnickel
  • pnickel's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 7 months ago #187249 by pnickel
Why do my imports fail? was created by pnickel
I am developing a survey with a lot of questions. To make it easier for users in the development stage I created 7 forms of the survey, each one with about 60% of the total questions. Across the 7 forms all pairs of questions are asked together at least once.

I created one form entirely in the LimeSurvey on-line program. (I am a GoDaddy user and set up LimeSurvey as one of the free services available thru GoDaddy.) I then exported that survey in tab-delimited format. I opened Form 1 in Excel and replaced all the questions with the questions for Form 2 (there is a 60% overlap of items) and saved it under a new name. I also changed the SID field and the surveyls_survey_id to a new number.

When I import this new form nothing imports. I get a new survey listed in my list of surveys, but it has a different number and, when I click on it to edit it, I get an error statement that says it cannot be opened. At the end of the import I get the message box listing the numbers of components imported. It shows 1 survey and 1 language. Everything else is "0".

What must I do to make it easy to create duplicate forms with differing questions? I thought the problem may be with the ID column so I changed all the numbers. No luck. I copied Form 1 to Form 2 and exported that, then changed only the text of the appropriate questions. No luck. I blanked all the ID numbers. No luck. Re-entering an entire survey (19 standard questions, plus 180 array sub-questions) takes a very long time. Copying from one spreadsheet into another and then importing that new spreadsheet would save a lot of time.

What is the key to making that import work? I find nothing about it in the manual.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 7 months ago #187252 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Why do my imports fail?
Not related to LimeStore

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 7 months ago #187253 by DenisChenu
Else : You must saved as TSV (see wikipedia).
Best solution is to use LibreOffice Calc.

And don't care about the 1st 2 columns (you can delete it if you don't have quota)
bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=14944

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
The following user(s) said Thank You: pnickel
  • pnickel
More
4 years 7 months ago #187254 by pnickel
Replied by pnickel on topic Why do my imports fail?
"TSV" and "tab-delimited" are the same things. It will not matter which spreadsheet program is used to create a tab-delimited text file. I could use NotePad if I wanted to! My use of software and the term I used to describe the file have nothing to do with the failure of the import.
  • pnickel
More
4 years 7 months ago #187255 by pnickel
I have no idea how that was posted in LimeStore. Sorry.
  • pnickel
More
4 years 7 months ago #187257 by pnickel
Thank you for the tip about the first 2 columns. When I deleted them the import worked perfectly. That will save me a LOT of time. Definitely a bug. I'm glad you put in the bug report.
  • DenisChenu
More
4 years 7 months ago #187266 by DenisChenu
Can you put the information at bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=14944

Please. I's a fan of the old TSV, but not for the new one …

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose