Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

New to Lime - not sure what functionality to use

• WMPsurvey
  • WMPsurvey's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #195465 by WMPsurvey
Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this. I am 1000% willing to read the manual and teach myself but I am really stuck on where I need to even start. So I just need help to be pointed in the right direction. (If there is a pre-made example that would be awesome, or even if you could just tell me what functionality I should be reading about.)

My survey is an "activity tracker". I have 10 activities, so my first question group would be:

"Do you preform these activities"

1. Talent Acquisition - Yes/No

2. Learning Management - Yes/No

3. Payroll - Yes/No

etc....

Out of these 10 activities there is about 10 sub-activities. So if someone answers "Yes" I would want to trigger the sub-activities to open. And if someone says "no" they would not appear. (Think of each page as a question group)

My goal would be to have the participants answer all of the Yes/No questions first:

Pg 1.

Talent Acquisition - Yes
Learning Management - No
Payroll - Yes
etc....

Then based on any "yes" answer, the pages would have the sub-tasks. (see how learning does not appear).

Pg 2.
Talent Acquisition - Please indicate how many hours a week you spend on each task:
Task 1
Task 2
Task 3

Pg 3.

Payroll - Please indicate how many hours a week you spend on each task:

Task 1
Task 2
Task 3

My last requirement, and I'm not sure if its possible is that the time entered for ALL sub-tasks needs to equal 100. So If someone spends 75 hours doing payroll, the logic should validate that there are 25 hours allocated to Talent Acquisition.

Hopefully that made sense. I just am really struggling on where to start with the logic to use. I read the article on when to use conditions or relevance and I am just going in circles. Anyway, any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!!
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #195467 by Joffm
Hi,
there are two conditions that are difficult to fulfill both.

My goal would be to have the participants answer all of the Yes/No questions first:

and

ALL sub-tasks needs to equal 100

Without the second you'd create a first group with a question of type array (Q1) and ask your "main activities".
Afterwards you create a group for each "main activity" with a question of type "multiple numerical input" for each "sub-activity"
Each of these groups has the relevance equation (we always use relevance equations, not condition builder)
Q1_SQ001==1
Q1_SQ002==1
with 1 = code of "Yes"

Now the problem.
With Expression Manager/script you calculate the spent hours.
But if the respondent spent 110 h and gets an error message, he has to go back to change some values.
Here you might display the remaining hours in the question text, shown in red if more than 100 is entered. So the respondent gets a feed back.

Of course you can display everything on one screen, with the same relevance equations.
But then the multiple numerical input questions will be displayed as soon as the respondent clicks "Yes" in the first question.
In my opinion this is acceptable and a better solution.

So create your prototype.
If you have further questions attach a lss export of this and tell us which version of LimeSurvey you use.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
Last edit: 4 years 4 weeks ago by Joffm.
  • Joffm
More
4 years 4 weeks ago #195476 by Joffm
Hi,

display your first "main activity" array in a first group.
Then in a following group display the "sub activity" questions.
Display "group by group"

So you have the first question separated and can easily validate the 100h condition.

Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose