Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can we end the survey early based on user response to a question?

• mrmander
  • mrmander's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 11 months ago #134218 by mrmander
I've taken many surveys in my time where if the people conducting the survey no longer needed any more information from me based on my answers, they closed the survey/submitted it and thanked me for my time. Can we set a condition after a question has been answered to submit the survey rather than having the user go on and complete all the questions?

I mean, it seems like the most simple feature any survey software would include, every survey I've ever taken has had it, but I just don't see it in LimeSurvey. I could have sworn I saw it in previous versions but maybe not...
The topic has been locked.
More
7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #134225 by coeneisma
You can use the Expression Manager to hide/not show question and/or questiongroups when certain conditions are met (certain answers, certain outcomes of calculations, etc.). When no more questiongroups/questions remain, the survey is submitted/ends.

Take a look at the manual: manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by coeneisma.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 11 months ago #134229 by tpartner

I mean, it seems like the most simple feature any survey software would include, every survey I've ever taken has had it, but I just don't see it in LimeSurvey.

Please refer to the manual.

- Conditions or relevance as coeneisma suggests - manual.limesurvey.org/Setting_conditions
- Quotas (you can use a quota of 0 on questions) - manual.limesurvey.org/Quotas

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
7 years 11 months ago #134253 by jelo

mrmander wrote: but I just don't see it in LimeSurvey. I could have sworn I saw it in previous versions but maybe not...

Are you using Limesurvey 2.5? Just curious.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
  • Away
More
7 years 11 months ago #134271 by holch
What you are looking for is a dedicated "screening" feature, which does not exist like this in Limesurvey.

However, Tpartner and also Coeneisma have pointed you in the right direction already. Should there be many questions to skip I would definitely try to use the quotas, because otherwise you have to write a relevance equation for every following question that should not be shown.

Only problem: With quotas respondents that are screened out will probably not enter into the "completed" count, but actually this makes a lot of sense in almost all cases of "screening".

One other aspect: When you test quotas, please be aware that they only take effect with the survey being active.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
5 years 9 months ago #169493 by frisket
I think the designers of LimeSurvey may have misunderstood what is needed.

If I want the answer "No" to Q.3 to cause a premature exit-and-submit, I do NOT want to have to manually set 496 conditions on Q.4 – Q.500 to do this.

There needs to be a post-answer exit option check
• default: continue
• if [ condition ] exit and submit [ go to thank-you page ]
• if [ condition ] exit without submitting [ go to some other page? ]

Or is this already somewhere in there?
  • holch
  • Away
More
5 years 9 months ago #169499 by holch
I think you did not read here or in the other hundreds of posts about screening people out.

You don't use conditions, but zero quotas (quotas with the value of "0").

Yes, it is not the ideal approach, but it works. You do not have to set conditions for all subsequent questions, but you stop the survey by letting them run into a quota. They will be sent to a different end page.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
5 years 9 months ago #169508 by frisket
My error, thank you for pointing it out...I saw quotas mentioned but I failed to see what their relevance was.
This may just be a terminological thing in Limesurvey (like the administrator/user dichotomy).
Either way if that fixes the problem, that's great.
Is it documented in the manual under "How to end the survey early"?
  • holch
  • Away
More
5 years 9 months ago #169510 by holch

Is it documented in the manual under "How to end the survey early"?

I don't know. You might have a look at it. If something in the manual is missing, feel free to add it. Limesurvey is an open source project, everyone can participate. And the manual is a wiki.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose