Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

export spss syntax => file not found

• Chuanse
  • Chuanse's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #116453 by Chuanse
export spss syntax => file not found was created by Chuanse
Hello,

It seems that exporting survey results to spss is an issue on my server.
Exporting the .dat file works fine, but when we try to export the syntax file Firefox says: File not found
Chrome says: RR_INVALID_RESPONSE

I see no problems in my apache2 log...

The most weird thing is that it seems to be a specific survey that gives problem. Others are working fine. The survey is rather large. Could that be an issue?

Could someone help me out here? Google is not telling me a lot about this type of problem :(

Thank you

Version 2.05+ Build 141229 on Debian Linux wheezy with MySQL
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Chuanse.
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 9 months ago #121037 by yinsh
Replied by yinsh on topic export spss syntax => file not found
Hi, I have the same issue. I'd like to raise the same quesion if you don't mind. B)

I tried to export the spss syntax file, but Firefox says File NotFound, Firefox couldn't find the file on http://lime-server/index.php?r=admin/export/sa/exportspss/sid/xxxxxx. And Chrome says ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE, the page I require is temporarily not found or removed permanently. It happens when I try to export spss data file as well.

Since you mentioned your survey was quite large, I enlarged the server's memory limitation and max_post_size. It didn't work out. AND, my survey is quite small with 26 quesions.

The spss exportation will generate a file to be downloaded. So I guess maybe there's something wrong with the tmp directory which the tmp file should be in. Of course there is possibility that the system couldn't generate a spss syntax or data file at all. BTW, my server can export a .lss file all right.

I've checked the SPSSGetQuery and SPSSFieldMap functions, but I don't think they are the cause.

The survey that couldn't be exported was imported into limesurvey using a .lss file from a totally diferent limesurvey system in a different server. The one that couldn't export the file is 2.05+ Build 141210 and the original one that can export is 2.05+ Build 140520, where the .lss file is from.
The servers use Unbuntu 12.04. Apache/2.4.4 (Unix) PHP/5.4.14.Mysql 5.5.31.

I'll be really grateful if someone can help me with this!
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 9 months ago #121065 by holch
Replied by holch on topic export spss syntax => file not found
I would guess that the export function runs in some kind of limit (script time or script memory size). You should have a look at that on your server. What are the values for this in your PHP installation?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #121106 by yinsh
Thank you for replying!
I have listed some of the settings in php.ini I think related.

File Attachment:

File Name: php.rar
File Size:20 KB

max_execution_time = 300
max_input_time = 600
memory_limit = 256M
register_argc_argv = Off
output_buffering = 4096
post_max_size = 100M
default_socket_timeout = 60
mysql.cache_size = 2000
mysql.max_persistent = -1
mysql.max_links = -1
mysql.connect_timeout = 60

The survey that I can't export has 26 questions, while there's another survey that has nearly 3000 quesions. I've changed the max_input_var to 2500 to make csv exportation running properly, but this didn't help with the spss.
Thank you! :cheer:
Attachments:
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by yinsh.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 9 months ago #121107 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic export spss syntax => file not found
At "Plugins" check if the SPSS export plugin is enabled.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
More
8 years 9 months ago #121122 by yinsh
Thank you for replying!

Since I didn't find SPSS plugin, I've enabled R and STATA. Like this:

I restarted apache and this didn't help. Firefox still says file not found.

BTW, I installed another limesurvey in anoter server, which has plugins like this:

And this system works all right.

I upload the export.php file if needed. Actually we are doing some development with limesurvey to make it work offline and upload the surveys back to the server. It's the server side that has the issue. We changed the import functions a lot for importing offline surveys, but didn't change the export function. I'm not sure if there's a connection. I upload the export.php as well.

File Attachment:

File Name: export.rar
File Size:10 KB
  • Mazi
More
8 years 9 months ago #121127 by Mazi
I am pretty sure that this is related to the changes you made to the code. I have never seen such an error and if it works fine on other systems, this indicates that it is a very special error which probably is not related to server config but to code changes.

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
8 years 9 months ago #121129 by yinsh
We changed the vvimport function and add our own functions related to ftp upload in the dataentry.php. We ketp the original functions unchanged.
I didn't expect that will influence the functions in the export.php file because we didn't change it at all. But you do remind me of something about the database modification. We changed the lime_survey_(sid)' table structure by adding a few columns for our own needs. I'll see what I can do. Thanks a lot for reminding me!
I've tried my best to keep limesurvey the way it is, but I'm not the boss. :( But I think it's an amazing thing to make limesurvey more than on-line though it's against limesurvey's goal, right? :laugh:
  • Mazi
More
8 years 9 months ago #121136 by Mazi
Can you tell us a little more about your goals and developed features? Maybe you can open a new thread and link it here?
I remember lots of other users who may be interested in such an offline feature.

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
8 years 9 months ago #121296 by yinsh
Of course, I'd like to!
I'm not sure if this is what you expect, so let me describe our system here first, please. I will open a new thread if nessasery.

Accurately, we are working on a set of system consisted of an on-line server end for the supervisors to monitor the interviewing progress in a way and to collect data day by day, many off-line ends for the interviewers to do interviews separately and to upload their surveys when they can get on line, and an ftp server for file storing and transferring between the on-line server end and the off-line ends. The server end and the off-line ends are both based on Limesurvey. We add some file transferring functions between the two ends and are heading to develop some management functions on the server end. Now it's a very immature version. We try to use Limesurvey's own functions as much as possible to limit the interference to the whole.
  • Mazi
More
8 years 9 months ago #121298 by Mazi
Thanks for providing these details. Are there any plans to set the additional script up as Limesurvey plugins? That way you are future save when updating later.

Can you describe how the data collected offline gets transferred to the online server?
Is this process automated based on detecting an available Internet connection?
Do users need to select the to be transferred data sets manually and press a button?
How do you make sure no duplicates are transferred?

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
8 years 9 months ago #121303 by yinsh
Thanks about your advise on the plugins. For now we haven't planned to do so. But as we understand Limesurvey better, I think it would be a better way to set up a plugin.

We DO transfer duplicates! :lol:
The supervisors need all the surveys, completed or not completed, to monitor the interviewers' performance and give them the proper instructions. So the surveys will keep transferring back to the server end until they are completed. If I want to know if one survey is in progress or how many days the interviewer spend on one interview, the comparable duplicates will help. Since our survey is quite long, it's difficult to finish in one day. For quality control.

Of course we don't want too many duplicates. Our interviewers transfer data once a day. So this makes it impossible to transfer data automaticly. We give them a warning if they try to transfer data when there's no Internet connection.

The interviewers never see the administrator interface. When they want to transfer data, there's button to press. As simple as that. No selection of data. We add a function based on vvexport to automaticly upload the data to the ftp server for data storing. On the server end, all the data uploaded to the ftp will be inserted to the database using an added function based on vvimport.

Besides surveys, the off-line end can update samples as well. So all the interviewers will do is to press the update button to update samples, do the interview, and press the upload button to upload data. He/She may also check which samples are completed or not. But they don't have access to the administrator interface.

On the server end, we identify the very survey using the off-line ends and keep the other surveys using limesurvey as usual. So the server end is for both off-line surveys and on-line surveys.

There're some areas with bad internet connection, so maybe it's one of the suitable ways for our situation.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose