Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

ERROR > Session has expired !

• Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
11 years 11 months ago #78860 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic ERROR > Session has expired !
Please also check the server's error log for further hints. Sometimes some settings like MAX_POST_VARS or MEMORY_LIMIT cause similar problems.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
The topic has been locked.
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #79623 by deeringa
Replied by deeringa on topic ERROR > Session has expired !
Thank you for your prompt responses, and I appologize for the delay in mine. I didn't get notified of the responses for some reason. Perhaps they got sent to junk. Anyway, I tail -f'd a couple of the server's logs while attempting to access a newly created survey, and nothing came up. Specifically the error and access logs. I'm attaching the phpinfo() saved as a .htm page. Please forgive my paranoia, as I have removed anything even resembling identifiable information. I don't think you need IP addresses or usernames to help make a diagnosis. :) I've done some digging, and I can't find the recommended MAX_POST_VARS or MEMORY_LIMIT. I don't see a MAX_POST_VARS, but I do see MAX_INPUT_VARS of 1000, and a MEMORY_LIMIT of 128MB. Obviously, I can up these as necessary. Could you post the recommended values here so I can give that a try? Would anything be showing up in the logs if either of those were the problem? Thank you SO much in advance for your help!

PLEASE NOTE: I didn't see the attached .htm file. So I'm hoping if I change the extension to .txt it will be attached. Please remove the .txt from the end to view the file.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by deeringa. Reason: I did not see the attached .htm file on my post. Re-trying after renaming to .txt
More
11 years 10 months ago #79822 by deeringa
Any update on this?
More
11 years 10 months ago #79831 by deeringa
I am beginning to get a bit desperate. This project is scheduled to go live in a couple days, and I'm still getting this Sessions has expired message for every created survey! I've checked the MAX_POST_VARS and MEMORY_LIMIT. MPV = 1000 and ML = 128M. I found in the documentation that 128M should be perfectly acceptable. I can't find anything for MPV. Please help!!
More
11 years 10 months ago #79834 by lex
Replied by lex on topic ERROR > Session has expired !
it helped me to set max_input_vars to 5000
More
11 years 10 months ago #79878 by deeringa
Thanks, lex. I'll give that a shot.
More
11 years 10 months ago #79880 by deeringa
Nope. Didn't work. I'm still getting the

ERROR

We are sorry but your session has expired.

Either you have been inactive for too long, you have cookies disabled for your browser, or there were problems with your connection.
More
11 years 10 months ago - 11 years 10 months ago #79882 by deeringa
I've found where the error is occurring. In index.php on or about line 310, there's a conditional statement looking to see if _SESSION has been set. Just before I print_r($_SESSION), and it is empty. So I do the following:
Code:
if ( empty($_SESSION['s_lang']) ) $_SESSION['s_lang'] = 'en';

And that takes care of it. However, I'd rather not trick it in this manner. Where does the $_SESSION variable get set? I know the link to the survey has a 'lang' variable in the GET string.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by deeringa.
  • Mazi
More
11 years 10 months ago #80117 by Mazi
I think the SESSION get's populated when first calling a survey and e.g. passing the lang parameter.

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
11 years 10 months ago #80346 by mslavin
Replied by mslavin on topic ERROR > Session has expired !
I feel I may be encountering the same problems. I'm fairly new to this, so it's quite possible my problem is something considerably more basic.

From my homepage, I link to my survey with the link provided by the admin page: foo.bar/rsvp/index.php?sid=96357&lang=en

If I follow that link, everything goes swimmingly. However, at the end of the survey, I link users back to foo.bar. If they follow the link back to the survey, they complete the first section, and then click "Next," and they're redirected to the index of available surveys.

If they select the survey, they can complete it fine. However, if they follow the link back home and try the survey again, the same redirect to the index happens. Effectively, only one out of two attempts completes the survey while "looping" like this.

Again, I'm a newby. This is a freshly created domain, and I'm hosted my Namecheap. I haven't tinkered much with any setting prior to encountering this problem. I'm running LimeSurvey Version 1.92+ Build 120509, I've tried making the edits to php.ini that have been discussed, but it has had no bearing on the problem.

I'd appreciate any help you all may have. If I'm in way over my head, I won't be offended if you tell me to scram and look for a different tool.

Thanks!
  • Mazi
More
11 years 10 months ago #80470 by Mazi
When opening the survey at Limesurvey by clicking the "green tire" icon top left, what is the URL?

You might have to add ...&newtest=Y to the survey URL.

Dr. Marcel Minke
More
11 years 10 months ago #80555 by mslavin
Replied by mslavin on topic ERROR > Session has expired !
Thanks for the reply, Mazi! I didn't get around to trying it out until now.

The "green gear" links to foo.bar/rsvp/index.php?sid=44955&newtest=Y&lang=en

I updated the link on the homepage to add the ...&newtest=Y, but it still seems to redirect to the index of surveys every second time.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose