Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

First time upgrading versions

• maxersloan
  • maxersloan's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #127538 by maxersloan
First time upgrading versions was created by maxersloan
Hello,

I have 3 versions of LimeSurvey:

(1) 2.06 Build 150629
(2) 2.05 Build 141126
(3) 2.00 Build 131107

I got an email about a security advisory and they recommend upgrading to the newest version (Build 151016). I have read the manual and several forum topics regarding upgrading, but I have never done it and was wondering if anyone had more detailed, step-by-step instructions than what the manual says. I seriously considered ComfortUpdate, but it actually sounds like it could be more work than doing it manually.

Any thoughts? Also, if instructions are too complex, I am open to paying someone for their time showing/helping me upgrade.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 5 months ago #127540 by holch
Replied by holch on topic First time upgrading versions
There isn't more to it than what is written in the manual.

You should save your config.php, because it contains all the information on your installation.

First I would make a backup of all the installations (comfort update create a backup for you before starting) and I would also secure everything that you modified (templates, etc.). They usually stay in the installation, but it is better being save than sorry.

Comfortupdate really is simple and easy and makes the update process a lot nicer (you probably will update more frequently). But it is not necessary. Manual update takes probably slightly longer, as you need to download the whole package, extract it and then upload it to the server via FTP. Depending on the connection this can take a little bit, because there are many small files, which takes a while. but besides that, it is not a big deal.

Your versions are all not too old, so updating should be quite straight forward.

If you go for a manual update, or go for the (now paid) comfort update is your decision. If you plan on using LS regulary and want to keep the 3 installations, then I probably would invest the money in the comfort update. Because it is usually just a few clicks in the interface and the update including backup, etc. is done. Chances that you keep your installation up to date are a lot higher, I'd say.

But if you don't want to invest the money, updating the installations might take you 15-20 min per installation (might be more, might be less depending on your skills, connection, etc). Most of it is waiting to upload files via FTP anyway. So not much of a big deal.

Start with the least important installation. If something goes wrong (but I don't see why this should happen if you follow the instructions) it is the least important install.

But you can contact users like Mazi or Dennis. I think they offer services around LS installation/updates and can check with them to do it for you.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: maxersloan
  • maxersloan
More
8 years 5 months ago #127545 by maxersloan
Replied by maxersloan on topic First time upgrading versions
Thanks so much for your reply. Sounds like it might be easier than I thought.... So let me just try to simplify the instructions (I'm a novice, after all).

1. Backup everything
2. Go here: www.limesurvey.org/en/downloads/category...atest-stable-release and download the zip file ("limesurvey206plus-build151018.zip")
3. Delete all files in my current limesurvey directory EXCEPT for (1) /application/config/config.php and (2) the "upload" folder and everything inside of it
4. Replace files with newly downloaded files. (Do I just copy and paste?)
5. How do I check to see if a database scheme upgrade is necessary? I don't even know what that means....
  • holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #127558 by holch

4. Replace files with newly downloaded files. (Do I just copy and paste?)

How did you install Limesurvey in the first place? Where is it installed? Because if it is not on your local machine copy & past probably won't work.

5. How do I check to see if a database scheme upgrade is necessary? I don't even know what that means....

Once you have uploaded, you call your installation and it will start the upgrade process. If the database needs to be updated, it will tell you. I haven't done a manual update in a while (comfort update is so much more "comfortable"), that I don't recall the exact steps that are happening. But the inferace should actually guide you through the process.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• maxersloan
More
8 years 5 months ago #127565 by maxersloan
I installed LimeSurvey via the MOJO marketplace, which is powered by BlueHost (my hosting company). The directories are stored on our domain's FTP. So in order to access, I go type in ftp.datamaxsurveys.com in windows explorer. So would pasting the files in there work?

I am okay with doing comfortupdate if I could just get it running.... But when I read the requirements I just don't feel confident in my ability to answer these questions:
- Your PHP installation must be compiled with support for ZLib.
- Your server must be able to connect by SSL to update.limesurvey.org and update-data.limesurvey.org. you should tweak/edit your proxy/firewall security settings or ask your server administrator for help.
  • holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #127572 by holch
You get those messages when you try to do the update? I never had problems, but then Bluehost isn't the most professional hoster out there anyway.

The installations from those "marketplaces" or "easy installers" are always something I try to avoid. Because sometimes they do strange things to applications in order to make them run with their installation function and this often does more harm then good.

So I can't really give you much of advice here. I just don't know if there were any modifications made and I can't really be sure if things break (they shouldn't but I would feel a lot more comfortable with a clean LS install rather than those "easy installations").

• maxersloan
More
8 years 5 months ago #127573 by maxersloan
No. Those messages are from the LimeSurvey Manual. They are the requirements for using ComfortUpdate.
  • holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #127575 by holch
Well, you could have tested the comfort update a while ago, when it was still free, then we would know if your server supports this. But I think you can actually try anyway, the check should come before the request of a valid key. So try to start a comfort update and you should be able to see if your server meets the requirements.

• holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #127576 by holch
I just saw that they are also offering a 1 month trial, so you could just give it a try, it wouldn't cost you a thing: www.limesurvey.org/en/services

• maxersloan
More
8 years 5 months ago #127705 by maxersloan
Hi Holch,

Thanks for all your help. I tried comfortupdate for my newest version and it worked great! Wouldn't have been able to pull the trigger on comfortupdate without your help and reassurance. Thanks again. Hopefully the other 2 versions go as smoothly and easily as this one did....
  • holch
More
8 years 5 months ago #127709 by holch
Great to hear that it worked out well. Good luck with the other two!

• maxersloan
More
8 years 2 months ago #130416 by maxersloan
Hello Holch,

I'm trying to update my other 2 installs. You were so helpful before, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind taking a quick look and letting me know if you have any suggestions:

www.limesurvey.org/forum/comfortupdate/1...pdate-server-is-busy

Thanks!!

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose