Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Message "New update available: Click here..." appears for all users

• vbraque
  • vbraque's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #125698 by vbraque
Hi anybody.
I'm on 2.06+ 150831 and I'd like to remove this message "New update available: Click here to use ComfortUpdate or to download it.".
This message appears on the top of the page FOR EVERY USER, not only admin or superadmin users.
Anyway, normal users on my system only have "create survey" privileges, so if the click on the link shown on this message a black page appears, that's it, no ComfortUpdate page is shown, so they can do nothing.
In my opinion, there would exist a parameter on config file or global settings page to control the visibility of this message, but I'n not be able to find it. In fact, this message must be shown only for admin user or user with superadmin privilege. Perhaps it's a bug.
¿Any idea?
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by vbraque.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LouisGac
The topic has been locked.
  • LouisGac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 6 months ago #125699 by LouisGac
The best way to remove the message is to update to the last version ;)
When the version is up to date, the message will not be shown anymore

vbraque wrote: Anyway, normal users on my system only have "create survey" privileges, so if the click on the link shown on this message a black page appears, that's it, no ComfortUpdate page is shown, so they can do nothing.

That's a bug, thanks for reporting.

About the admin/user question : users should be able to tell to admin that the version is no more up to date. Users are the one using the admin interface everyday.

If you have a look to the forum, you'll see that many people are stuck with old versions of LimeSurvey. When you don't update regularly , it can become really hard to update. Just today, we had this post :
www.limesurvey.org/en/forum/installation...s-from-1-87-to-2-06/

Whatever : if you close the alert message with the close button on the right, it will be reduce in the menu bar during all the session :

become :
  • vbraque
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #125716 by vbraque
Thanks for your quick answer. Your workaround works! Unfortunately, the message remains.
I'd better plan upgrade as soon as possible.
Regards

+Thanks
+Karma
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by vbraque.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 6 months ago #125769 by DenisChenu
Se bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9888 too.

Please vbraque : put a bug report for : "User without right must never see update information".

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • vbraque
More
8 years 6 months ago #125772 by vbraque
  • DenisChenu
More
8 years 6 months ago #125775 by DenisChenu

vbraque wrote: done!

I don't find it ? Can you put the link here please (i want to add a relationship with some existing bug).

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • vbraque
More
8 years 6 months ago #125777 by vbraque
More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #130795 by cloudilicious
Hi all,

Here we are in Feb 2016, and still the ComfortUpdate to an unstable RC is visible to all users, not only administrators.
It's wise to include test releases in a ComfortUpdate (convenient and more likely to be tried) but the average USER should not be concerned about system upgrades. That's what administrators are for.
In my opinion, the concept of showing the update-alert to all users is a bug in itself, and should be restricted to admin logins. It appears very unprofessional for a general user because he/she might think that the administrator is lazy on keeping the system up to date and secure, while the opposite is true; the administrator will not expose a production system with real live users to an unstable release candidate.
Please correct this bug, as it has been reported several times.

regards
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by cloudilicious.
More
8 years 1 month ago #130799 by Ben_V
Hi,
this "bug" is definitively corrected in the new release (2.50) launched yesterday... In fact, there is no invitation to "upgrade" to any unstable release because.. there is no unstable release anymore. Only a brand new LimeSurvey with new admin interface and frontend responsives templates.

So far 2 possibilities:
a) Stay with the previous "classic" 2.06+ 160129 version (still downloadable here ) and edit some css rules or files (eg. /application/views/admin/update/_update_notification.php) to remove this message

b) Consider an update to 2.50 version. I warmly invite you not to use this version straight in production, because there are lots of changes... as you can see using the demo version.
Install a second instance, take time making tests and if you can... discuss pros & cons with your users.

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
More
8 years 1 month ago #130803 by cloudilicious
Hi Ben_V,

Thanks for your swift respons! I'm pleasantly surprised to read that the 2.5RC has turned stable. I can communicate this to my users.
But,...The only version ComfortUpdater is showing me still is te release candidate (test version). Do you know how I can change this to include the most recent stable version?
Many thanks!
More
8 years 1 month ago #130804 by Ben_V
I don't know anything about ComfortUpdate.... but I suppose that all messages related to this new version will be updated within the next few days. IMHO this message should provide some alert about the new frontend templating system, because old (custom) themes won't work.

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
More
8 years 1 month ago #130806 by cloudilicious
great, we'll see...

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose