Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Trouble Replacing Logo

More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #117504 by pox
Trouble Replacing Logo was created by pox
I've been trying to replace the little LimeSurvey logo on the mint_idea survey template provided with LimeSurvey.

I've found this piece of html in the file named startpage.pstpl:
Code:
<h1 id="logo"><a href="./" title="Company">Lime<span class="light">Survey</span><span class="leaf"> </span></a></h1>

Now I know this deals with the area I'm trying to edit because I've changed the text and the appropriate text changes in the template.

In the template.css file I find the reference to leaf class:
Code:
#logo .leaf {
  position: absolute;
  left: 0;
  top: 20px;
  width: 120px;
  height: 80px;
  z-index: 1;
  background: url('Logo_LimeSurvey_transparent_25x25.png') 60px 5px
    no-repeat;
  cursor: pointer;
}
So it looks like that png with the crazy long name is the image I'm trying to replace (the little Lime Survey logo over the name in the header). First thing I tried was just to upload a new logo of appropriate size and change that name referenced in the css to match the name of the new file. That didn't make the new logo display.

I then thought maybe I had somehow found the wrong area so I commented out the reference to the image. The image didn't go away. Even if I delete the image file from the "Other Files" section, the image still displays in the template. I even tried deleting every single image file from the "Other Files" section of the template editor and still that image remains ( :blink: ).

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here but something doesn't seem right.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by pox.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #117511 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Trouble Replacing Logo
Are you sure that you are making your adaptations to the right template? Please note that you can't make changes to the templates that come with Limesurvey via the editor. You need to copy the template (it gets stored in another folder - can't remember which at the moment, I think it is upload). You should always make a copy of then then adapt the templates and give them a new name.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #117524 by pox
Replied by pox on topic Trouble Replacing Logo
Yes I'm definitely making changes to a copy. In fact I was so stumped by this issue that I made multiple copies just to be sure it wasn't some corruption or something. So far I've had this problem on 3 copies or so. Even copies of copies.

Besides correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the markup editor and such even come up in the template editor unless you've loaded in a copy anyway.

I've already made changes to the text in the header. This trouble only happens when I try to swap out the image directly above the text I've just changed.

Your mentioning of a file in which these template copies are stored now has me thinking that maybe if I export my copy out of Limesurvey, work on it with my own tools locally and then upload the finished template back, that might help. Otherwise I'm feeling rather stumped at the moment. I will look into this and see if it can be done. Thanks for the inspiration on that front.

In the meantime folks please feel free to offer any further suggestions.
  • DenisChenu
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #117531 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Trouble Replacing Logo
Hi,

A link for testing is surely a good solution.

Test with FireBug is surely a good solution too.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
9 years 3 weeks ago - 9 years 3 weeks ago #117576 by pox
I've used firebug on the survey test page. That is showing me the content added on top of the template and a template loading script that runs in the header by the looks of it (in other words it is showing me how what limeSurvey itself does when loading the template. I can't find any reference to the image being loaded in. I can't really seem to use firebug to check the actual behaviour of the template itself.

I haven't published the survey yet as I haven't finished sorting out the template.

My local browser also doesn't seem to know what to do with the exported template. It opens and displays the content, but doesn't have any styles. looks like Limesurvey itself handles all the pstpl files and the accompanying css? Like, the template needs limeSurvey javascript and such to display correctly?

Removing the image and updating the css to reflect my new image locally also doesn't work. I load the template back into LimeSurvey and experience the same issue. That 25x25 LimeSurvey logo picture is still displaying and my substituted image is still ignored.
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by pox. Reason: Adding more information
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #117577 by pox
OK I've tried removing the entire mentioning of the "leaf" class from the #logo line and now indeed the 25x25 limesurvey logo disappears. So I now know that particular class is definitely to do with that image. I just don't understand why altering the background image in the css doesn't lead to it changing on the startpage.pstpl.

So confused :(
More
9 years 6 days ago #118251 by kayesm
Replied by kayesm on topic Trouble Replacing Logo
Hi Pox,

Did you end up resolving this matter...I too am having the same problem...
More
9 years 6 days ago - 9 years 6 days ago #118255 by pox
No unfortunately I never did figure out how to swap out the image. In the end I had to settle for simply removing it altogether. If I had had the time I would have tried writing up my own markup and css for the new image but all those involved in the survey were happy with simply removing the logo and moving on and didn't want me using up any more time on it.

I hope you come right with this friend. Feel free to keep updating this thread. Any info we can provide those in the future that have this problem would I'm sure be appreciated.
Last edit: 9 years 6 days ago by pox. Reason: added last paragraph
  • tpartner
More
9 years 6 days ago #118258 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Trouble Replacing Logo
As Denis suggested, give us a link to a test survey. We can't help without seeing the source code live.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
More
9 years 4 days ago #118293 by pox
Ah OK that is what he meant. Sorry guys.

I will get around to setting one up as soon as possible.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 9 months ago #121201 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Trouble Replacing Logo

pox wrote: I hope you come right with this friend. Feel free to keep updating this thread. Any info we can provide those in the future that have this problem would I'm sure be appreciated.

We have explained how to change the logo and how to place the logo left, right or centered at this blog post: " How to add your own logo to a Limesurvey template "

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose