Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

New template based on Bootstrap

• Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #117737 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic New template based on Bootstrap

misterdot wrote: Thanks, Tammo - this template is great! I'm currently using it with the no-more-tables solution (thanks, smail!) and most things work, but I can't seem to get the exclusive option to work with multiple choice questions. It ignores that option. Have you seen this behavior? Also, are there any other question types that you know of that do or don't work? I've attached a sample survey.

@misterdot, are you sure it really doesn't work or maybe it just doesn't display correctly but still disables items at the background?

Do you see any JavaScript errors?

Did you check results when using this feature? E.g.
- first select option 1 at a multiple choice question
- click next (that already writes the results to the DB)
- check results if option 1 was saved
- go back and click the exclusive option
- click next
- check results again

Maybe it removes the previously saved option 1 from the results?!

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
The topic has been locked.
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #117742 by misterdot
Replied by misterdot on topic New template based on Bootstrap
Mazi,
You are correct - if I test as you describe, it writes the correct value to the DB, but the display doesn't disable the other choices.

If I select the exclusive option (value=5) and another option (value=1), it writes 5 to the DB. When I go back, the exclusive option is the only one that displays until I uncheck it, then the other choices come back. Selecting non-exclusive options works as expected.

So yes, it seems to just be a JavaScript issue. I don't see any errors on the console (inspect element in Chrome).
Thanks!
  • Mazi
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #117743 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic New template based on Bootstrap
My assumption is that this isn't a JS issue but a display issue. The JS seems to disable the other elements correctly, it just doesn't adjust the GUI accordingly.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • tammo
  • tammo's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #119698 by tammo
Replied by tammo on topic New template based on Bootstrap
The exclusive option has been solved now, among many other additions.

The free version has been released, the Premium version will be released early in may!

Stay tuned!

More about the template: toolsforresearch.com/limesurvey-responsive-template

Greetings from Holland,

Tammo ter Hark

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V
More
8 years 10 months ago #119710 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic New template based on Bootstrap
Looks great. Thanks for allowing to test your theme. And for the hard work which was done by both of you.

Bugreport (I used your Demo):
"M1 14 Do you know at what date & time you were born?"

When using the date/time question the year is not transferred from the javascript date/time picker. "Y" is pasted into the field instead of 2015.

The picker is displayed when clicking into the field. It is not possible to enter the date/time via the keyboard. The date/time-picker is overlaying that area. Is that an intended behavior. Personal I like to be able to use both ways. Picker via Button at the side or entering via keyboard.

Not sure if missing IE8 support (with the developer hat on I wouldn't support IE8 too) is hurting usage in certain scenarios. Anyone with real life examples where IE8 was crucial for a project? WindowsXP was the OS with IE8 as a last release. The Windows OS flavors under active support are on IE11.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • tammo
More
8 years 10 months ago #119712 by tammo
Oops, my mistake, this was a wrong setting in the advanced settings of the date question. I corrected this.

In my browser I can enter the date now. Could you try again and see if it works now?

if not, what browser are you using? We will on it then.

And yes: we will not support IE8, this is ancient. In previous projects supporting IE8 cost us about 20-25% of development time and we cannot afford to spend that time on a declining browser. But if anyone want to support us in doing so, we will.

respondage.nl
More
8 years 10 months ago #119719 by jelo

tammo wrote: In my browser I can enter the date now. Could you try again and see if it works now?

The year is now transferred into the field.

But the picker is still shown when the field is clicked. A entering by keyboard is not possible. Which might relates to available screen estate. I always test browsing in virtual machines with different screen resolutions.

In this screenshot the browser window is 1092px x 856px and the viewport is 1084px x 679px.

Is that intended behavior (datetime-picker as the only input method to ensure correct format)?

• tammo
More
8 years 10 months ago #119728 by tammo
OK, thanks. I've put it on our internal issue list.

Maybe this (large) date time picker is not a good candidate for larger screens. But we will see what we can do.

respondage.nl
  • tammo
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #119898 by tammo
As it turns out, the date/time picker now is styled in a combination of standard jQuery (calendar) together with some of our styling elements (sliders). Because we want users to be able to fill in on tablets/mobile phones, the sliders must be a little larger than normally in jQuery. This results in a larger layout for the complete date/time picker.

For use on mobile phones we advise to split the question in 2: a date question separate from a time question.

We have implemented this in a new version of our test survey, to be found at:
survey.toolsforresearch.com/index.php/123456/lang-en

respondage.nl
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by tammo.
More
8 years 10 months ago #119942 by jelo

tammo wrote: Because we want users to be able to fill in on tablets/mobile phones, the sliders must be a little larger than normally in jQuery. This results in a larger layout for the complete date/time picker.

The silder size feels more like looking through an "ease of use" magnifer. I am not totally convinced of mobile first with surveys. These silders size looks "strange" with a desktop browser setup.

I cannot remember using a date/time-picker in a survey, so I will stop commenting on that picker.I am sure you will have a lot more "little" bugs on you todo-list.

I would like to see the gpl version bundled with Limesurvey to ensure better debugging. Not sure if a referral-program for the commercial template can bring the limesurvey project a few bucks too if they bundle it. Just louding thinking from a user.

• tammo
More
8 years 10 months ago #119943 by tammo
Yes, we do have several little things still to do with the template, but little by little we will be getting there.

Thanks!

respondage.nl
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #120389 by jelo
When importing the version 1.21 from GIT or your dedicated website the following error occurs:

"Unable to find startpage.pstpl to add {TEMPLATEJS} placeholder, please check your template."

The git archives are containing another directory. So the path for the imported template is then
tfr_responsive-121/tfr_responsive-1.2.1 instead of tfr_responsive-121.

Another point concerning data protection and tracking is the direct usage of google font api
Code:
<link href='//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' />
<link href='//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Droid+Sans' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' />

You should add the fonts to the package directly (haven't checked the licence) or point out in a Readme/FAQ how to prevent using the external API and adding webfonts to the template locally.

You really should try to get the free version bundled with Limesurvey. There might be some conflicts but a broad distribution will help to fix bugs soon. Other commercial offers could join. But since you seem very serious with the design team doing this template we should acknowledge the invested time and money. Still not convinced about the proportions of some gui elements but a broader distribution of the template will show us what size is the optimum.

Thanks.

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by jelo. Reason: Adding a bug

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose