Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Live survey won't submit mandatory filled answers

Live survey won't submit mandatory filled answers 3 years 6 months ago #50571

Hello,

I have created a survey which works perfectly in test mode. However, when I activate the survey it fails along one of the question routes. The problem appears to be on the Personal Details page. Link to the survey. (Be advised there is some validation on all name, email, telephone and address fields.)

If you answer No, No, complete all fields in Personal Details, then Submit, survey functions as expected.
Answer No, Yes, 1 or 2, complete all non-optional fields in Personal Details, then Next, you can proceed to the Payment page.

However, answer Yes, Yes, 1 or 2, complete all non-optional fields in Personal Details, then Next, you get an error message about having to complete all mandatory fields. (This doesn't happen in test mode.) Further more, it doesn't seem to store any of the answers which were entered, which it normally does, even if only one mandatory question is skipped.

I'm using version 1.90 and I have tested this behaviour on 2 computers in different locations with different browsers.

Could the problem with the Voice Part question, or maybe even with one of the questions which is hidden due to the conditions? I'd be really grateful if anyone could help me understand why this is happening.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Live survey won't submit mandatory filled answers 3 years 6 months ago #50594

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
Create a copy of the survey to test the following:

1. When removing the conditions, are there any problems?

2. When changing the question types of the question which the mandatory warning refers to, does that solve the problem?

3. Can you sequentially remove questions to see which question causes the problems?

4. Are you able to create a simple sample survey to reproduce the problem?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

Re:Live survey won't submit mandatory filled answers 3 years 6 months ago #50646

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 714
Maybe a database integrety problem.
Do a database check in the limesurvey admin page.

Re:Live survey won't submit mandatory filled answers 3 years 6 months ago #50650

Shnoulle - database integrity check reveals no problems.

Maxi - thank for the step-by-step approach suggestion.

It turns out it was a flaw in my conditions logic. I had numerous questions set to show only if the answer to Q2 was Not Equal to No. However, Q2 itself had conditions set and wasn't always shown. If Q2 is not shown, it can't hold an answer to support the conditions for subseqent questions. So, while the later questions were shown, not all of their answers were transmitted to the database in the live survey. I had to correct the logic for Q2 to "Q1 Equals Yes or Q3 Equals Yes", which amounts to the same user selections, but is not wholly contingent upon one question, which may or may not be presented to the user.

Perhaps there should be some code within the survey to warn the user if they attempt to create a "Not equal to" condition which relies on another question which also has conditions applied. A sanity test for logic, if you like.

It might also be worth the user guide making it clear that there can be issues which don't show up in test surveys, because they only become a problem upon submission of answers to the database. For example, the user guide does not advise that Numerical Input fields will be stripped of leading zeroes - this may not be obvious to users with no experience of using databases.

Re:Live survey won't submit mandatory filled answers 3 years 6 months ago #50688

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 289
Squirrelicious wrote:
Perhaps there should be some code within the survey to warn the user if they attempt to create a "Not equal to" condition which relies on another question which also has conditions applied. A sanity test for logic, if you like.
You can add this as a feature request at our feature tracker . Please describe your idea as detailed as possible and try to outline a suitable solution/implementation aswell.
It might also be worth the user guide making it clear that there can be issues which don't show up in test surveys, because they only become a problem upon submission of answers to the database. For example, the user guide does not advise that Numerical Input fields will be stripped of leading zeroes - this may not be obvious to users with no experience of using databases.
If you are missing some information in the manual feel free to improve it. Our manual is a wiki, everyone can edit it and you can't do much wrong.
So if you miss anything in the manual and you found out how to do it please add this information. Thanks!

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.142 seconds
Donation Image