Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Inheriting a theme vs. theme from scratch

• domsson
  • domsson's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #177671 by domsson
Hey there!

I'd like to create a theme. Inheriting the vanilla theme had me fight the bootstrap styles, plus the template markup seemed rather convoluted (to a simple mind like me), so I often struggle to achieve certain results. Hence, I thought about creating a theme from scratch instead. I've read the relevant manual section , but still have these questions right now:
  • Is it a sensible move to create a theme from scratch, or is it possible to strip vanilla down (remove bootstrap, for example)?
  • If I was to create my own theme, would I add it to`/upload/themes/survey` or to `/themes/survey`?
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by domsson.
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 3 months ago #177672 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Inheriting a theme vs. theme from scratch
I think it's more easu to start from extend vanilla.
Maybe when all it's ready, make it at own theme, but the issue : if there are a new file in vanilla : you don't get it.

It's on project (think long term) to have a core theme outside /themes/survey (direct in view) not related to any css framework.

Else :
1. You can use remove tag for css (and js) : gitlab.com/SondagesPro/SurveyThemes/acce...aster/config.xml#L29
2. In `/upload/themes/survey` for starting, after you can use your own core theme directory : standardthemerooturl and standardthemerootdir in config.php. It work on 2.6, unsure it work on 3.X : must be tested.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: domsson
  • domsson
  • domsson's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #177750 by domsson
Replied by domsson on topic Inheriting a theme vs. theme from scratch
Right, so I take it that...

- /themes/survey holds the core themes, which should not be touched but left to the LimeSurvey team
- Extending vanilla is the way to go, using the config.xml to try and remove unneeded dependencies

Thank you, I'll give that another try then.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose