Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Problems adding more than 999 choices to a drop down answer set (cities in CA)

• eyerish
  • eyerish's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 4 months ago #127992 by eyerish
Hey everyone. I am setting up a survey that collects identifier information in the beginning. Part of this survey has dropdown menus for country and state and I am trying to do it for city also. My city dropdown is conditional based on which country and state they choose, so there will be a ton of answer sets. I have had no problem setting up the answer sets as long as the city count is less than 1000, but when I tried to add every city in California, for example, I got an error. I tried every variation I could think of, and nothing worked. Am I limited to 999 answers on the editor interface?

This is my error message:
Bad Request
The CSRF token could not be verified.
The request could not be understood by the server due to malformed syntax. Please do not repeat the request without modifications.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

ALSO: When I am running conditional questions, is there a better way to do it than the following:

I want to be able to survey every country/state/province/city with a drop down menu, based on conditional survey questions. So far, the only way I can figure it out, is to have 50 different city answer sets (1 for each state). If state = CA, then show the California answer set, etc.

Thanks for your help!
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 4 months ago #128015 by tpartner
You may be able to solve both problems by using jQuery Autocomplete on a short-text question instead of drop-downs - manual.limesurvey.org/Workarounds:_Manip...wers_for_text_inputs

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #128022 by Ben_V
Maybe you can start a derivative work based upon Denis's (new) plugin

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by Ben_V.
More
8 years 4 months ago #128458 by alan_ball
What impacts the number of choices in a drop down answer set? Is it a database configuration, or a security setting?

When I do a big list like this, I get the same error after 255 choices. I have 100 more choices I need to put in there, and unfortunately time is of the essence to get this survey out. My IT team has scheduled an update in 2016 to the latest version of LimeSurvey so we can do a jQuery autocomplete, but that won't be until after I need to get this survey completed.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose