Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Include dropdown in endpage template that triggers a question...

• holch
  • holch's Avatar Topic Author
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 11 months ago #118759 by holch
I am working on a template for CATI surveys. I didn't really manage to get some of the tools running, that are made for CATI. But actually, there isn't much I need.

I already managed to pipe into the startpage template some information about the contacted respondent from the token table. That works pretty well.

Now I would like to include a dropdown into the endpage template, which allows the interviewer to mark a certain status for the interview.

Let's say at the beginning of the survey the respondent says that he/she doesn't want to take part, then I would like the interviewer to be able to mark this as a status and end the survey. This status should be saved in the results table.

Does someone have an idea how this could be done? I could include a question on each page as a limesurvey question, but that could get quite annoying when there are more than 10 questions in the survey, because this would have to be done manually. Which is why I was thinking about the dropdown included in the endpage template as it would appear on each page. Is there a way to write the status choosen from this dropdown into a question put at the beginning of the questionnaire and then end the questionnaire?

Statuses could be:
- Not attending
- Occupied
- Wrong number
- Doesn't want to participate
- Call back
- etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The topic has been locked.
  • gabrieljenik
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 11 months ago #118768 by gabrieljenik
Hi,

You could add the question as the first one.
Then make all the rest groups/question to have its equation relevance based on it.

So if they answer "Doesn't want to participate" in the first question, then all the others won't appear and survey will end prematurely.

Cheers,

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Checkout our Reporting Solutions and our plugin shop at www.encuesta.biz .

• tpartner
More
8 years 11 months ago #118770 by tpartner
Hi Holch,

I'm not clear on why you need this on every page instead of, as Gabriel suggests, a single question at the beginning and all following groups conditional on that question. Or, am I missing something?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
8 years 11 months ago #118819 by holch
Hi both!

Thank you for your input.

However, only at the beginning isn't working, because "doesn't want to participate" is just one of the possible states and actually one of the simples ones (usually happens at the beginning).

But you might get into the questionnaire and they say to call back because they need to leave or to talk to someone. Or call back at 6 when the right person is back home, or, or, or.

It also can happen that they don't want to continue in the middle of the interview, or the line drops, etc. This would need to be registered somehow, so that it is stored in the database and we can then make the respective measures (call back, etc.).

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• holch
More
8 years 11 months ago #118820 by holch
I also see now where you are coming from. The status examples that I posted are basically all for the first page only. Actually it probably would work for most cases anyway. But the ideal would be, that those statuses could be marked througout the interview (every study might have different status items, depending on the topic / target group).

• tpartner
More
8 years 11 months ago #118859 by tpartner
Ah, okay, I get it.

Well, I suppose you could:
  • Add a "Status" radio question to the first group
  • Add relevance to following groups to display based on "Status"
  • Insert a drop-down in endgroup.pstpl containing the same "Status" options
  • Hide the new drop-down in the first group (cause you already have a status question there)
  • When the drop-down is changed, fire an AJAX call to a remote PHP file that updates the "Status" radio question in both the database and session

So, the result should be that changing the drop-down to an irrelevant status would hide all subsequent groups and go to the end of the survey. I think a downside would be that you would also loose any questions already answered in the group where you change the drop-down because it would also become irrelevant.

Would that do the trick?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose