Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Can LS database store 2 responses from the same token w/ answers prepopulate

• privetlm
  • privetlm's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #118620 by privetlm
My subject line probably makes no sense, but text below should be clearer.

Is this possible?

I'd like to set up my survey to behave in the following manner:

1) User fills out and submits the survey
2) User (using the link sent in the invitation email) returns to the survey
3) Upon returning, his/her answers from the previous submission are pre-populated
4) User makes changes and submits again
5) In the response database, there are now 2 responses submitted by this token.

Is this possible? They want to be able to return to the survey, see their previous answers, make changes, and submit it again without their previous submission being lost in the database. Down the road I believe they want to do change analysis as the survey as it is measuring the growth of a project.

I'm guessing that "Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token?" and the "Enable token-based response persistence?" conflict when attempting to set the survey up like this.

I've looked for a workaround but can't seem to find one... I just wanted to post on here in case I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 11 months ago #118630 by jboogie21

I'm guessing that "Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token?" and the "Enable token-based response persistence?" conflict when attempting to set the survey up like this.

No, they don't conflict as I have both of them enabled on a few of my surveys. They serve two different functions. "Allow multiple responses or update responses with one token?" does just as it says and as you describe in steps 1-4. "Enable token-based response persistence? is for users to not lose their answers if their browser crashes.

The problem is your step #5. Changes to the answers change that single entry in the DB. So you can't "track changes". I've come close to your desired behavior (by accident!). With my case there were two responses in the DB with a single token, but I'm pretty sure the user didn't have their previous answers prepopulated when working on the 2nd responses. I achieved the 2 responses-one token by disabling "Allow multiple responses..." and then "resetting" the "Uses left" in the token table to 1 manually after a user completed the survey.

The caveat with my response is that this is all from memory. Someone else might correct any errors in my statements...
The following user(s) said Thank You: privetlm
  • privetlm
  • privetlm's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #118631 by privetlm
Thank you for your quick response, jboogie21. That's exactly the problem I'm experience but have trouble expressing, maybe some else will have a workaround of a sort, tho it doesn't look like there is one. Thanks again :)
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 11 months ago #118636 by holch
As Jboogie says, you can store various responses from the same user/same token in the database. Actually you don't even need to reset the uses left to 1 if you give them a relatively high number at the beginning, eg. 10 or 100, which means they could fill in the questionnaire up to 10 or 100 times with the same token.

However, what is not possible is to have the previous responses when opening the next time. It is eithere one or the other.

But as far as I know, the response persistence only works until the survey is submitted. Once respondents are through the whole survey, results are saved and thus they would start a new blank survey, in case that there are still "uses left" and not "0".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
8 years 11 months ago #118658 by jboogie21
I came across this in the manual that might help. It's more manual, but should get the job done.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose