Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Double Data Entry

• andogro
  • andogro's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #118127 by andogro
Double Data Entry was created by andogro
I am trying to create a survey that will allow for double entry - it is mostly just numeric fields. Any suggestions for the best way to create this? I am thinking of copying and having 2 groups with the same survey, but in the second survey need messages to pop up if the entry is inconsistent. I think I can do this with the expression manager - but not sure how.
Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 1 week ago #118131 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Double Data Entry
No, you can't do this with Expression Manager, because you can't access answers to another survey via Expression manager, not even within the same survey but from a different user.

I think you will need to do some custom coding for this. Or you do the control later on in an external program where you compare answers and alter if they don't match.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
9 years 1 week ago #118188 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Double Data Entry

andogro wrote: I am trying to create a survey that will allow for double entry

It is still unclear, if the double entry is done in one survey (with different parts) oder two different surveys. You can check inside one survey, if certains answers are matching. If you have two activated surveys you will have a few problems. E.g. when someone is entering the second survey, how to know which response in the first survey has to be matched. To access the data would be the next.

If the double entry is done with two different surveys, but the second survey is directly following the first, you might think about linking the surveys and add some variables to the URL to transfer answers from the first survey into the second survey. That would allow to check and compare the data of the two surveys.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
More
8 years 3 months ago #128928 by jlwood
Replied by jlwood on topic Double Data Entry
Ever get any more feedback on this, or find a solution? I've got the same need and could eliminate an entire separate data entry process if LimeSurvey could handle re-key verification.
  • holch
More
8 years 3 months ago #128929 by holch
What exactly does "re-key verifcation" do?

Limesurvey does not support double data entry. What you can do is do the data entry twice and then make the comparison in Excel, but of course that is not as automated as you would probably like it to be.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
8 years 3 months ago #128931 by jlwood
Re-key verification is the same as double-entry. I suppose it's a little more antiquated term. I know we could do the job by comparing matching cases in one or two data sets using Excel, SAS, SPSS, or whatever, but the real efficiency benefit is in having the comparison made as the moment the discrepant variables are entered. That way the data entry operator, who will have the original form on hand, can determine the correct value on the spot, confirm the correction, and move on. In a post-entry process you have to list all the discrepancies, then go pull all the necessary hard-copies to make a determination, create some sort of correction file, then refile everything again and upload corrections. Right now, we're using some aging, difficult-to-maintian software that handles this process for pen-and-paper data collection, but I'd be very happy to find a way to manage both on-line and paper versions of the instruments within LimeSurvey.
  • holch
More
8 years 3 months ago #128932 by holch
Yeah, I understand totally. But at the moment I see no way within Limesurvey to do this. This doesn't mean that there might not be a way to do this with a plugin, but I have no idea how and if this is possible.

And I don't think this will be implemented anytime soon, without a sponsor, I guess.

More
8 years 3 months ago #128933 by jlwood
I haven't dug into LimeSurvey plugins or extensions, but I suppose it's no worse than writing Drupal modules. Now that I know it doesn't already exist, maybe I'll fiddle with it as time permits. Anything besides the "Plugins" section of the manual that you think I should use for reference?

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose