Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Generating Reports: which software would you suggest?

• nandan
  • nandan's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 week ago #118046 by nandan
Hello,

I am trying to create surveys for HR assessments. This means, participants will take a certain test and in the end, a report will be generated for each participant.

So, if 500 people take the test, 500 personalized reports, (i.e., with their individual performance on that test) will need to be generated.

Which software would you suggest for:

1. Creating the layout of the report (e.g., Page 1 will have name and logo, Page 2 will have Index, Page 3 will have two bar charts and some predefined text etc.)

2. Generating reports based on the format defined above?

Will it be one software or will it be two or more?

Look forward to your responses. Thanks for your time!
The topic has been locked.
More
9 years 1 week ago - 9 years 1 week ago #118054 by Ben_V
I think there is no software(s) you can use for this, but you have to write your own script or plugin...

Ha a look at this old post , where

DenisChenu wrote: - Use a JS system ( www.jqplot.com/ or www.highcharts.com/ or www.jscharts.com/ or ...)
- Do a plugin using 'afterSurveyComplete' event

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
Last edit: 9 years 1 week ago by Ben_V.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nandan
  • fransmarcelissen
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 1 week ago #118070 by fransmarcelissen
Replied by fransmarcelissen on topic Generating Reports: which software would you suggest?
I use R for this purpose. You can export the survey or read the data using rpc (which is what I do), read it into Rstudio, and generate a report, or do it directly using rapache. I generated thousands of reports in this way. If you need help, please let me know.
Frans Marcelissen, DigiPsy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben_V, r0bis, nandan
More
9 years 1 week ago #118079 by Ben_V
@nandan: Sorry, probably I misunderstood your question if related to some office side task and not to the display of an advanced report for the respondent. I know a quiet big research organization doing something similar using Crystal Reports... The few I know about the process is that it's an old LS installation, they are under IIS server and are sending direct queries to the db to generate a complete report.

BTW Frans's way & experience sounds much better ;)

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
  • nandan
  • nandan's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 11 months ago #119091 by nandan
Awfully late reply, so apologies first!

Thanks a lot for your responses! Will try to get help from my developer partners in this regard, bsaed on your inputs...
More
8 years 10 months ago #120370 by ordogz

fransmarcelissen wrote: I use R for this purpose. You can export the survey or read the data using rpc (which is what I do), read it into Rstudio, and generate a report, or do it directly using rapache. I generated thousands of reports in this way. If you need help, please let me know.
Frans Marcelissen, DigiPsy

Hello !

I'm very interested on this solution. Please could you help me ? I would love to have a more detailed explanation for this solution(approach)

Thank you
More
8 years 8 months ago #122420 by ordogz
Dear fransmarcelissen, If could you help me with some advice regarding this generation of reports, I would appreciate it . Thank you
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 8 months ago #122426 by Mazi
Which tool to select for such reports mainly depends on how complex your reports are and how complex the process of querying the underlying report data is.

For several projects I have used a custom coded website and made use of " Highcharts ", a very nice JS library. I created the whole report as a website to which users get redirected after having submitted their responses and I also added a "print report" button which allows to call the browsers print option.
Using special print CSS you can create a printing optimized version of the report. Most browsers also report direct PDF printing.

I also created a more complex Limesurvey reporting dashboard based on highcharts, see " 4. Interactive dashboard showing statistics and charts based on Limesurvey survey data " at the bottom of the page.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
More
8 years 8 months ago #122796 by Gordon55M
You can do this with Crystal Reports fairly easily if you allow the database to accept remote connections (assuming the DB is outside of your local machine). You'll need to download the MySQL connector for windows to make it work as I recall. Simple charting, crosstabs, and page control can all be done with Crystal Reports.

The logo part could be interesting. Does each user have their own logo, or is it one logo for all reports? In Crystal Reports you can either import the logo as an image and show it using conditional formatting, or you can store the images in the database and show them in the report. (I wondering outloud, perhaps you could add an attribute field in token table and import the user image and store as binary in the DB?)

The biggest weakness is that Crystal Reports is more for in-house type reporting than web delivery/interactivity. It is great to go to the printer or PDF, but Crystal isn't the best to deploy on the web for consumables. If you need that, you would have to either build your own Crystal Reporting Application in .net or on Eclipse. You could also pay a ton of money and use the Crystal Server boxed product.

If cost is a concern, you could use JasperReports for local reporting and/or JasperServer for web delivery. Another option could be Microsoft Reporting Services if you are a MS shop. You can run LS on top of MSSQL and that goes right into Reporting Services. R and Shiny might also be another solution if you are ready to get a little more advanced.
  • tammo
More
8 years 8 months ago #122799 by tammo
We decided to make something dedicated for our customer. This was a lot of work, but now we could do this faster..

www.toolsforresearch.com/40000-responden...h-decent-work-survey

Tammo

Tammo ter Hark at Respondage
For Limesurvey reporting, education and customized themes
respondage.nl
More
8 years 7 months ago #122907 by jared
So how is everyone getting data "out" of Limesurvey programmatically? Specifically, question names and responses? Are you using RPC "export_responses". If so does anyone have an example they'd be willing to share? Just something to get me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!
More
8 years 4 months ago #128121 by Winocll_48635
Replied by Winocll_48635 on topic Generating Reports: which software would you suggest?
You can export responses as CSV to your local machine and then import the data into a variety of different programs that will give you the ability to generate reports, run data analysis, etc. Some of these programs...
Windows or Linux:
SPSS
PSPP (basically a free, opensource version of SPSS)
Linux-specific:
GRETL
You could also use the more common: MySQL, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Excel, Libre Office
The following user(s) said Thank You: nandan

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose