Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to start a pilot study with your survey?

More
9 years 2 weeks ago #117874 by AgLow
Hi,

Before I start my actual research I would like to conduct a pilot study. Meaning I'd like to test my survey.

I know you can just "test" your survey without putting it on active, but then it doesn't collect any data of my testgroup.

Is there any way to conduct a pilot study and gather the data from that pilot study in case it's useful for my actual research?

Many thanks in advance,

AgLow
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 2 weeks ago #117876 by holch
I would activate the survey and run the test. Then I would download the results and archive them (as CSV file). So you have the data and no one can take it from you. Usually bring two results files together isn't a big deal. Once the test is finished I would "time out" the survey (put a stop data before the current date, so no one can access the survey - can be easily changed again later).

Then there are two possibility depending on the results of the pre-test:

1. Survey works - no changes necessary.
This is easy, you can just change the end date to a future date again and your respondents can enter the survey.

2. Survey needs changes
If you need to make changes to question types, add items, etc., you will need to deactivate the survey and the response table with the responses so far will be dropped. In this case, when there have been major changes to the survey, the responses wouldn't match anyway. So the only way to bring them back together would be manually through CSV. But I think it wouldn't make sense to analyze the two different sets of respondents together anyway.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
9 years 1 week ago #117964 by AgLow
Alright! Thanks a lot!
More
9 years 1 week ago #117966 by Ben_V
If I had to test a survey... I would

1) Make a copy of the survey and apply my tests to this clone:
- safer when sharing a URL for testing (maybe GG follows the links sended via Gmail :laugh: )
- remember that if you active/desactive/reactive a survey, a manual action will be necesary to reset the 1st respondant ID to "1" due to some db auto-increment.

2) Try with all popular browsers & small devices ...

3) Try to export results and start to work with the collected data... or send sample files to whom will be in charge...

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose