Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Maximum Email Invites Per Day

• Gordon55M
  • Gordon55M's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #117591 by Gordon55M
Maximum Email Invites Per Day was created by Gordon55M
What is the theoretical maximum emails LimeSurvey can send out in a day? More importantly, is it possible to automate the next batch of emails opposed to having to manually clicking the "Continue Button"?

In reading the manual it suggests that 100 emails should be able to get out in the 30 second PHP script default time limit (I know the script probably ends before 30 seconds, but I'll use this as a benchmark for discussion sake).

100 emails @ 30 seconds in a 24 hour day = 288,000 emails a day. Does that sound about right? Has anyone sent out more than 300K emails in a day.

Side note: I don't want to actually send out this many emails per day. I personally am a fan of naturally throttling email blasts over a longer period of time to help pass through SPAM filters and to limit survey server load. However when forced, sending out upwards of 200K in a day may happen.
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #117599 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Maximum Email Invites Per Day
There is no real fix limit for sending out emails.

This probably depends a lot on how you send your email.

I personally don't like the PHP method and prefer SMTP, but I don't have any benchmarks on what is quicker. I just think sending via SMTP from a well configured mail server will save you a lot of spam problems.

I also agree with you to throttle the emails over a longer period. And if you have a high return rate there is just no reason to send out more invitations than necessary. So it is always good to also check on the return. In my experience people respond either relatively quick or they'll never respond. 1-2 days after the invitation has been sent, usually only a few remember the invitation and start the the questionnaire.

Mazi created some Cronjobs that should do what you are looking for, but have a look if this is what you are looking for and maybe ask about it, in case of doubt (I have no experience with the scripts). They can be purchased here:
www.limesurvey-templates.com/limesurvey-...ob-scripts-c-29.html

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon55M
  • Gordon55M
  • Gordon55M's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #117600 by Gordon55M
Replied by Gordon55M on topic Maximum Email Invites Per Day
Holch, thanks for the quick reply and guidance. You've helped me in the past I believe.

I agree with all of your points in regards to return rates and SMTP relays.

Pointing me to Mazi script was perfect. Thank you so much.
More
5 years 5 months ago #174255 by justincherian1729
Replied by justincherian1729 on topic Maximum Email Invites Per Day
Had one doubt - does the cron job allow you to schedule xx invitations at different points in time (say out of 5000 tokens, send out invites to 50 at a time, at 10:30 am, then 11:00 am, then 11:30 am, and so on)?

Essentially, wanted to check if this cron job can be used to stagger mail outflow, to align to the server's mail-out rate limits.
More
5 years 5 months ago #174291 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Maximum Email Invites Per Day

justincherian1729 wrote: does the cron job allow you to schedule xx invitations at different points in time (say out of 5000 tokens, send out invites to 50 at a time, at 10:30 am, then 11:00 am, then 11:30 am, and so on)?

Not aware of that feature.

But you can ask the developer directly. The script is not supporting current LimeSurvey versions (V3.X).
survey-consulting.com/product/automatica...d-email-invitations/

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • DenisChenu
More
5 years 5 months ago #174302 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Maximum Email Invites Per Day

justincherian1729 wrote: Had one doubt - does the cron job allow you to schedule xx invitations at different points in time (say out of 5000 tokens, send out invites to 50 at a time, at 10:30 am, then 11:00 am, then 11:30 am, and so on)?

Essentially, wanted to check if this cron job can be used to stagger mail outflow, to align to the server's mail-out rate limits.

See gitlab.com/SondagesPro/mailing/sendMailCron

You have such settings (and maybe i can add option on the laucher, it's a good idea …)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose