Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Card Sort Question

• david2013
  • david2013's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #116559 by david2013
Replied by david2013 on topic Card Sort Question
When using grid of radio (array question) (see image attached), each attribute (i.e. Education, family, etc) is stored as varchar(5) which the length is 5. When using grid of text box (multiple short text), each attribute is stored as Text which the length is 256 (I think). That's what I mean by "uses less space". Sorry, didn't explain well.

The example provided only have 3 options (ie. very important, fairly import, not very important). The varchar(5) can save up to 99999 options which is more than enough.

I do agree with holch that flexibility with text box. However, for closed card sorting, usually the answer option are scale. I think holch is thinking about open card sorting which need to store the name of catogory. In that case, text box will be needed.

Anyway, the space issue is really not important unless the survey is so long that reach the limit of database row. But just want to answer the question. The example provided is working great.

The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 1 month ago #116562 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Card Sort Question
@david2013 - you're welcome!

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
9 years 1 month ago #116642 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Card Sort Question
What a great solution, Tony!

Can you add that to the workarounds so it doesn't get lost?

Thanks!

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • tpartner
More
9 years 1 month ago #116652 by tpartner

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Mazi
More
9 years 1 month ago #116654 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Card Sort Question
Thanks a lot. would have been a pity if this gets lost when the forums get cleaned up.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
More
8 years 11 months ago #118815 by marba
Replied by marba on topic Card Sort Question
hi there!

I've been exploring this workaround and it looks quite useful for my purpose.
However, I've been have one problem. When I import the template, the question runs normally. But if I use my own template, to where I copied everything necessary to the files template.js and template.css, it doesn't work any more.
So I know the problem is not in the question's code and formatting.

I am having the same problem with other workaround I used in other question.
Can having two workarounds, with its question functions, in the same template cause this problem?

• tpartner
More
8 years 11 months ago #118843 by tpartner
Depending on the scripts, there may be conflicts with multiple scripts on a page. Do you have any JavaScript errors in the console?

Cheers,
Tony Partner

The following user(s) said Thank You: marba
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #118852 by marba
Replied by marba on topic Card Sort Question
There are no JavaScript errors...
I've been trying different options and solutions, on how to put both together, and a bit by chance it started working.
The second script is the secondary-options (here: manual.limesurvey.org/Workarounds:_Manip..._options.22_question )

I just changed how I built the template: A ) copied the example template from the workaround "secondary options", and inserted the script for card sort; B ) copied the example template from the workaround "card sort", and inserted the script for secondary options... With the option B ), it's working! Although both example templates have the same structure...

I'm a total beginner, and perhaps I'm missing something. The important is that I have both scripts running; but any idea why this happened?

I attached both templates (Template-workaround = option A, not working; AM-questionnaire = option B, working)
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by marba.
More
8 years 8 months ago #122633 by SchaeferSimon
Replied by SchaeferSimon on topic Card Sort Question
Hi,

I actually want to pick up this topic again. Since there are two issues.

1. I would like to use the bucket drop system to implement a Q-Sort system . A quite fundamental part of research in social sciences. It allows for a researcher to not only ask for the importance of specific items on a scale, but also allows to examine the interrelationship inbetween these items and the subjective importance they are given in relation to others.

Short practical example how it works out:

A participant is given the task to sort 54 value items according to how good they discribe himself. He has to sort them into categories ranging from 1 - very good to 9 - very bad. What differs Q-Sort from Likert scaling is, is that in the more extreme the categories get ( 1- very good; 9 - very bad) the less items can be put into a categorie. It therefore forces the participant to rank the items. In practise this would look like this:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 --> Rating 1 very good to 9 very bad
2 - 4 - 6 - 9 - 12 - 9 - 6 - 4 - 2. --> Items available to put into a category

Is it possible to implement this format into the bucket sorting system?

2. When I try to add these changes to the templates already in place by my university something seems to go wrong. In the screenshot attached you can see that I copied your examplatory question in my universities template (with amended .css & .js file) but there seems to be a code error. Is it possible to provide a template for the bucket sorting that does not coflict with other templates?

Thank you a lot for your help
Attachments:
  • tpartner
More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #122635 by tpartner
1. That could be done with some modifications to the workaround.
  • Add a class and/or data attribute to each droppable target defining a max number of draggables allowed.
  • After an item is dropped, loop through all droppable targets and either disable or enable them depending on whether they are "full".
  • Add CSS to indicate whether a droppable target is disabled (it will automatically be given a "disabled" class.

2. That looks like you have inserted a curly brace without a following space or line-break - manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager...ax_Containing_Errors .

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by tpartner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaulBroon
More
8 years 8 months ago #122676 by SchaeferSimon
Replied by SchaeferSimon on topic Card Sort Question
Thank you so much for your reply. Works out.
More
7 years 10 months ago #135980 by eugecio
Replied by eugecio on topic Card Sort Question
Hi! I want to pick up this topic again. I have an issue.

I can't make the array filter work in this question. I added as sub-questions all the options from a previous question, and it worked: only appears the option's name that the person selected on the previous question. But the problem is it also show the empty draggable items.

Also, Is there any option to instead of appears all the options they selected in the previous question, appears five of them as maximum?

Thanks

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose