Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Check if more than one multiple choice has been selected

More
10 years 2 months ago #104435 by arna
Hello, I am new to Limesurvey - thanks for the fantastic software and good documentation. It is refreshing to use open-source which is so established and well maintained. I will definitely make a donation or contribute otherwise :)

One thing I am a bit stuck on and would appreciate help with:

I need to write an expression which checks whether more than one multiple choice has been chosen.

Is there a way of assigning the value 1 to subquestions so I could use something like: count(that.Qcode.value) > 1 ??

Thanks
The topic has been locked.
More
10 years 2 months ago #104507 by tomscher
Hi,
Not sure what kind of question you are using and what you want to do in the long run...
I assume it's the "Array Numbers (Checkbox Layout)" version with 5 columns and only one row.

You could try to fill this in a question afterwards:

{if(sum(Test_A_1, Test_A_2, Test_A_3, Test_A_4, Test_A_5) > 1, "More than one alternative was selected", "One or no alternative was selected")}

If you just want to validate the number of checked alternatives, then you can simply use the same idea (without the if-clause) in the validate answer field of the respective question.

Does that help?
  • tpartner
  • Away
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 2 months ago #104542 by tpartner
You cannot assign assessment values to Multiple Choice subquestions. However given a Multiple Choice with question code "Q1" and sub-question codes "A1", "A2", "A3", "A3", you can use an equation like this:

Code:
{if(sum(Q1_A1 == "Y", Q1_A2 == "Y", Q1_A3 == "Y", Q1_A4 == "Y") > 1, 'More than one checked', '')}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose