Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Workflow / Survey reviewers.

• Karel_UTwente
  • Karel_UTwente's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 4 months ago #102171 by Karel_UTwente
Workflow / Survey reviewers. was created by Karel_UTwente
We use LimeSurvey at the University of Twente for staff and student's research projects. Overall, we're very pleased with the options and performance of LimeSurvey (as are the users), but this has lead to a new problem; managing surveys is becoming a burden.

The main problem is that we're required by law ("wet bescherming persoonsgegevens" in the Netherlands, there are equivalent regulations on EU and probably national levels) to keep track of personal data our users collect, and adequately protect the sensitive data that has been collected. This also means that we have to have an overview of what data users actually collect, and stop them from collecting sensitive data that they shouldn't be collecting.

Currently, the only way to do this is to create a survey for new users, and then give them only limited access to it. Once they are done creating the survey, we could then activate it. This works for a smaller number of surveys, but as the number of users grows, this procedure becomes cumbersome and very unorganized.

I can think of two solutions;
* Creating more granular permissions, where we can have users in a 'content creator' role who can create but not activate surveys, and users in a 'reviewer' role who can activate said surveys. User morr has made the same request 9 months ago, forum post here and feature request here . However I do not see any progress on this, nor any further posts/requests.
* Expanding the remote control functionality to allow creating users and setting their permissions, with which we can then build a custom app to handle the above functionality.

I feel like this is an issue that many organization that use LS with many users will struggle with, especially with an eye on data protection laws. I'm wondering if there are other (custom) solutions out there, or if I'm possibly missing something completely obvious?

I would suggest that this functionality would significantly improve the appeal of LimeSurvey for large-scale deployment. As far as the University of Twente is concerned, this would be a huge time-saver, and we would be willing to donate/pay for, and/or cooperate in the development of such an enhancement.

Kind regards,
Karel Kroeze.
IGS DataLab / University of Twente.
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 4 months ago #102208 by tpartner
Replied by tpartner on topic Workflow / Survey reviewers.
Hi Karel, please contact our team lead Carsten Schmitz directly about paying for this or assisting with development - (carsten[dot]schmitz[at]limesurvey[dot]org)

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #102215 by Ben_V
Replied by Ben_V on topic Workflow / Survey reviewers.
Hello,
I've already faced this problem and waiting for a buid-in function, I've used the following workaround without any major issue... (only beware when updating)

in: /application/helpers/admin/activate_helper.php

Starting the file with:
Code:
// Checking 'superadmin' rights.
if ($_SESSION['USER_RIGHT_SUPERADMIN'] == 1) { 

...Original file content goes here

Ending with:
Code:
}  // close custom 'if' statement...
// Displays some message or redirect if user is not 'superadmin'
else {  print "only admin can activate a suvey, please contact…"; }

The result is that only a 'superadmin' can activate a survey.
The admin of a survey can only desactivate (alert displayed or redirection) or check (previouly) if the survey is valid for activation.

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by Ben_V.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose