Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: can you convert .lss to .csv ?

can you convert .lss to .csv ? 4 years 2 months ago #60927

• helm
  • Fresh Lemon
Hey there,

In order to get my masters degree, I need to do a survey as a part of my thesis. The University is using LimeSurvey 1.50 + (I think 1.85?). Since I never used LimeSurvey before, and the University being the Admin, I didn't want to learn it through trial and error with the possibility that the Admin was watching. So I created a free online account to get the hang of it. Soon I got better and better and before I knew it, my whole survey was built on that try-out account.

Now I want to export the whole survey structure and import it to the University's server. The problem is: the try-out version of Limesurvey only exports to .LSS because it is the latest version, whereas the University one only accepts .CSV or .SQL and keeps giving me errors when I try to import my survey.lss.

Please tell me there is a sollution for this. Otherwise I will have to put days of hard work to waste and rebuild everything on the University server.

Thanks in advance
The administrator has disabled public write access.

can you convert .lss to .csv ? 4 years 2 months ago #60929

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 483
I don't think that there is an easy way to convert an .lss file (which is an xml structure, into and .csv file, which is a basic text file.

But it doesn't stop here: LS 1.85+ does not offer all the functions that LS 1.9 offers. So you might have used things, that are not available on the university server.

Well, there are some options now:
- Taking the time spent as training, as it was planned anyway and create your survey again on the university server
- Setting up your own server with an up to date version of LS (not that old thing your university is using)
- Get an account with LimeService. Depending on the number of interviews you need this might be actually not that expensive (checked and 100 responses are $10, 1000 are $ 60).

Maybe there is someone else who has a better idea. But as far as I know, there is not tool to transform a .lss file to a limesurvey readable csv file.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds