Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
3 years 5 months ago #205560 by holch

It would be helpful if this could be applied before new releases are deployed.

As Limesurvey is a open source software, testing depends mainly on its users (like you and me). Before a new version of LS comes out, there are usually Alpha Releases, then Beta Releases, then Release candidates. During this time it would be the right time to test the software before its release and report any bugs, security issues or issues with a11y, so it can be corrected until the final release.

Unfortunately, there are many users out there that just use Limesurvey but never give back. Resources are limited and testing seems to be highly unpopular with users. It is always a struggle to get enough people to test the alpha and beta releases, as well as the release candidates.

So I can understand that the focus is first focused on bugs that block usage for anyone and a11y gets on a back burner. This might be sad, but unfortunately this is the situation. If you want to improve this, ask your colleagues and users to test as much as possible before each release. Setup a test environment and let them try to break it. At the end of the day, the software is provided for free. I feel the least we can do is help the developers where we can with translations, bug testing, etc.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
More
3 years 5 months ago #205607 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities

holch wrote: So I can understand that the focus is first focused on bugs that block usage for anyone and a11y gets on a back burner.

It's partially true : if there are a11y issue reported : i fix it urgently …

And whole single question page are checked on www.tanaguru.com/ in 3.0.0.alpha.
Sometimes it was broken after

But about rachellerena poste : she talk for a NON FREE extension … where you need to register and to register : you need to entre in a form inside a iframe …

Some extension i use :
addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/wave-accessibility-tool/ Needed one
addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/wcag-contrast-checker/ quick and great
addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/headingsmap/ quick
addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/visual-aria/
addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/addon/axe-devtools/

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • holch
More
3 years 5 months ago #205617 by holch

It's partially true : if there are a11y issue reported : i fix it urgently …

I know that you are doing an excellent job fixing those bugs, which is why I focused on the testing.

And Open Source Projects like Limesurvey depend heavily on the support of the community, which is why I wanted to explain a little bit that users are required to help with the testing. They can contribute a lot to the project and speed up the development process by giving back with bug testing, translations, etc. At the end of the day, the project needs resources to cover everything. And especially things like a11y, which generally "do not pay the bills", the help of the community is even more important.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: DenisChenu
  • DenisChenu
More
2 years 1 month ago #224543 by DenisChenu
Replied by DenisChenu on topic Section 508 compliance for people w. disabilities
Unlocked ,
Please report a11y issue :)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose