Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

IF equation to display specific feedback over the answers

• Emma_F
  • Emma_F's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #172613 by Emma_F
Hi there, I'm trying to figure out how to make a conditional equation to display different feedbacks for answers.

So far, this is what I have.

if(sum(A25_A25A4.NAOK, A25_A25A5.NAOK, A25_A25A6.NAOK, A25_A25A7.NAOK, A25_A25A8.NAOK, A25_A25A9.NAOK < 13), display, hide)

My goal is to display only one bit of text according to a specific sum (from only a few sub-questions of a previous question). The sum function seems to work like this, but I can't understand how to get the If function to work. Do I lack brackets or a specific expression? I have been looking over the forum and haven't been able to find what I needed. The error message tells me an IF equation should be: IF(test, result_if_true, result_if_false).

Writing "display", or "display_if_false" doesn't work.

Thank you in advance for your help!
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
5 years 8 months ago #172616 by holch
Limesurvey should show you on the question page if a equation is wrong. Looking at yours I think you have set one ")" wrong in your equation.

To find errors it is always good to break a more complicated equation down into bits, to identify where your problem lies.

here is how IF works:

IF(test, result_if_true, result_if_false)

test: in your case the sum and checking if it is smaller than 13. I think here is one of your mistakes. You need to have the sum in brackets and then check for this sum if it is smaller than 13, eg.
Code:
sum(A25_A25A4.NAOK, A25_A25A5.NAOK, A25_A25A6.NAOK, A25_A25A7.NAOK, A25_A25A8.NAOK, A25_A25A9.NAOK) < 13

You have to close the bracket of sum before you can check "<13".

result_if_true: here you put what you want to happen if your check if the sum is smaller than 13 is true, for example display a specific text.

result_if_true: here you put what you want to happen if the test is not true.

This should work:
Code:
{if(sum(A25_A25A4.NAOK, A25_A25A5.NAOK, A25_A25A6.NAOK, A25_A25A7.NAOK, A25_A25A8.NAOK, A25_A25A9.NAOK) < 13, "This is the text that should be displayed if the sume is < 13", "this is the text that should be displayed if the sum is 13 or more")}

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Emma_F
  • tpartner
More
5 years 8 months ago #172619 by tpartner
If using this in the relevance equation of a question (or group), you don't need to use the IF() statement. I would simply be:

Code:
sum(A25_A25A4.NAOK, A25_A25A5.NAOK, A25_A25A6.NAOK, A25_A25A7.NAOK, A25_A25A8.NAOK, A25_A25A9.NAOK) < 13

If this returns true, the question is shown, if false, the question is hidden.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • Emma_F
More
5 years 8 months ago #172622 by Emma_F
I'd like to thank you for the help, it's finally working!
  • Emma_F
More
5 years 8 months ago #172779 by Emma_F
Another question on the same subject, as long as the sum I'm working on simply has to be higher than another number, it seems to work, but I have difficulties hiding the text that appears when the sum is between two numbers.

I feel silly, but how should I write the expression for the sum to be recognized?

sum(question.naok,...) <10 >15

I've tried the sum and count function and I've tried locating a similar case, but I can't seem to find the correct way to do it.

Thank you in advance for your time!
  • holch
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #172780 by holch
There are different approaches to this, depending on what you are trying to do.

You could have nested if clauses, e.g.
Code:
if(sum(...) < 10; "This sum is smaller than 10"; if(sum(...) > 15; "This sum is bigger than 15"; "This sum is between 10 and 15"))

So you see that we have 2 if statements. The second one is nested within the first one for the "else" part. So if the first test is not true, it will run through the second test.

Or you can split it up into different if statements:
Code:
if(sum(...) < 10; "This sum is smaller than 10"; "") --> This will only write a text if the test is true. Else it will return an empty string.
if(sum(...) > 15; "This sum is bigger than 15"; "")

Or you could use OR for your test.
Code:
if(sum(...) < 10 OR > 15; "This sum is either smaller than 10 or bigger than 15"; "This sum is between 10 and 15").

I haven't tested this one, but it should work. If it is wrong, Tpartner probably will come with the correct version soon. ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by holch.
  • tpartner
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #172781 by tpartner
Assuming you are trying to hide/show a question (not tailor text)...

Code:
sum(question.naok,...) <10 OR sum(question.naok,...) >15
This will only show the question if the sum() function returns less than 10 or greater than 15.

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by tpartner.
  • Emma_F
More
5 years 8 months ago #172783 by Emma_F
Thank you very much.

I'm only trying to display text, and using two sums and the function AND is doing the trick, I just needed to figure out the need of writing two separate sums.

sum(A19_A19A.NAOK,...) >= "10" AND sum(A19_A19A.NAOK,...) <= "15"

makes this work perfectly. Thank you both for answering so quickly!
  • Emma_F
More
5 years 8 months ago #172845 by Emma_F
Once again I'm faced with a dilemma for this equation.

I have three different texts I want to display in the following scenarios:

display text #1 ---> sum(A19_A19A.NAOK, A19_A19B.NAOK, A19_A19C.NAOK, A19_A19D.NAOK, A19_A19E.NAOK) < 11

display text #2---> sum(A19_A19A.NAOK, A19_A19B.NAOK, A19_A19C.NAOK, A19_A19D.NAOK, A19_A19E.NAOK) > 10 or sum(A19_A19A.NAOK, A19_A19B.NAOK, A19_A19C.NAOK, A19_A19D.NAOK, A19_A19E.NAOK) < 15

display text #3 ---> sum(A19_A19A.NAOK, A19_A19B.NAOK, A19_A19C.NAOK, A19_A19D.NAOK, A19_A19E.NAOK) > 14

These equations work separately if there's only one blurp of text involved, but the first equation overrides everything. What I obtain with various different tries is either the first text appearing everywhere (in the case I use "AND" in the second equation) or the first and second text appearing even if I face scenario 2 or 3. I'm pretty certain these equations are exclusive and I'm at my wits ends with this problem.

I join the file with these questions, you can ignore question A22.

Thank you in advance for your help.

File Attachment:

File Name: difficulti...play.lss
File Size:25 KB
  • tpartner
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #172853 by tpartner
You need to use nested IF() statements. An IF() statement works as follows:

Code:
if(condition, returned result if condition == true, returned result if condition != true)

Now, you can replace the returned result if condition != true with another IF() statement, effectively creating an ELSE IF().

So, in your case, something like this (line-breaks added for clarity):

Code:
{if(sum(A19_A19A.NAOK, A19_A19B.NAOK, A19_A19C.NAOK, A19_A19D.NAOK, A19_A19E.NAOK) < 11, 'Text if sum less than 11', 
  if(sum(A19_A19A.NAOK, A19_A19B.NAOK, A19_A19C.NAOK, A19_A19D.NAOK, A19_A19E.NAOK) < 15, 'Text if sum less than 15', 
    'Text if neither condition is true'))}

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by tpartner.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose