Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Verifying Votes

• arborrhythms
  • arborrhythms's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #161644 by arborrhythms
Verifying Votes was created by arborrhythms
Hi everyone,

I am hoping to use LimeSurvey for Participatory Budgeting.

Two nice-to-haves would be a likert scale (I'll read the forums about that) and voter verifiability.

Does anyone know if LimeSurvey can verify votes that have been cast?

It seems essential that a voting system would have protection against voter fraud, and verifying votes (allowing a voter to check if their vote has been recorded in the correct way) is an ESSENTIAL piece of that.

Thanks,
-alec
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 3 months ago #161653 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Verifying Votes
I think most of us are not familiar with "Participatory Budgeting" and what you understand as "verifying votes". What do you have in mind? Once we know that, I think we might be able to understand and help better.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• arborrhythms
  • arborrhythms's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago #161657 by arborrhythms
Replied by arborrhythms on topic Verifying Votes
Verifiability is not inherently tied to PB.

Basically, since voting and elections are high-stakes issues, they are targeted by hackers.
There seem to be several measures to counteract that:
1) encryption and other techniques to preserve anonymity
2) voter verification

The process of voter verification means that you can use your voter ID after the election to check your vote.
That means that it is possible to verify that one's vote has been correctly recorded.

You know: because Russians.
Not to mention whatever other electronic equivalent of "hanging chads" might exist.

Here is an example of a voting system that has implemented that: heliosvoting.org

So, is there any way for a user to check, based on a unique key that was emailed to them (to preserve their anonymity), to verify their vote after it has been recorded?

Thanks for any insight,
-alec
  • holch
More
6 years 3 months ago #161659 by holch
Replied by holch on topic Verifying Votes
I am aware that this is not inherent to PB. But we need to know what you want to do for this "vote verification".

That said, Limesurvey is a survey system and thus has none of these features. It might be possible have some work around or even plugin to get there, but not out of the box.

You can send the voting results to the respondents via confirmation email though, if this helps.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose