Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Get scores from specific answers across multiple List (Radio) questions

• gavt
  • gavt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 6 months ago #159105 by gavt
Hi all

Complete noob here trying to get up to speed with LimeSurvey. Not a programmer (although I can parse the logic) and not familiar with older LimeSurvey versions, so I'm finding the documentation a bit tricky to navigate.

I've been experimenting with branching questions and using relevance equations to display questions based on previous responses, albeit in a very simple way. What I am now trying to do is find out how I can get a total score (re assessment values) from specific answers across multiple questions.

A good analogy here is personality quizzes, or things like The Harry Potter Sorting Hat Quiz – rather than working with the assessment values from the quiz as a whole, it is tracking totals across specific sets of answers across the quiz as a whole (ie Personality Type A / Gryffindor answers, Personality Type B / Hufflepuff answers, etc).

For example, in my test survey I am working with List (Radio) questions. I have five questions with three answers each, and each answer is a shade of red, green or blue. I then want to display one of three questions once the first five have been answers – if 3/5 answers are a shade of red (eg Q1.A1 "Red", Q2.A3 "Scarlet", Q3.A2 "Vermillion", etc) then you get a 'red' question, if 3/5 answers are a shade of green then you get a 'green' question, etc.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've been playing around with relevance equations, conditions, hidden questions set to Equation with something in the Logic/Equation field – just getting nowhere with the docs or online searches.

Many thanks
gavt
The topic has been locked.
  • Joffm
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
6 years 6 months ago #159106 by Joffm
Hello, gavt,

the best thing is to go through the sample surveys.
manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager_sample_surveys

These you can import in your LS version and see hoe it works.

And on the other side: Please provide your sample survey, so we see what you are trying to do.

Regards
Joffm

Volunteers are not paid.
Not because they are worthless, but because they are priceless
  • tpartner
  • Away
More
6 years 6 months ago #159114 by tpartner
Let's say, for the sake of example that your "red" answer codes are Q1.A1, Q2.A3, Q3.A2, Q4.A4, Q5.A2...

Then the relevance for the following red question would be something like:

Code:
sum(Q1 == 'A1', Q2 == 'A3', Q3 == 'A2', Q4 == 'A4', Q5 == 'A2') >= 3

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
More
6 years 6 months ago #159130 by gavinthomas
gavt here (account ban was down to a silly autoreply battle between LimeSurvey and the work email address I used...)

Joffm, thank you for pointing out the sample surveys – I'll dig into those.

tpartner, that line is exactly what I was looking for – thank you very much.

Really appreciate your help.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose