Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Issues of practical things know form other survey software

• MarkusErich
  • MarkusErich's Avatar Topic Author
More
7 years 10 months ago #136741 by MarkusErich
Hello!

Let me begin to describe myself as a person who uses survey software for years. So I will be satisfied to get a yes or a no to something is possible or not.
Trying to set up a survey, I'm on to learn Lime's syntax and UI. An order to me is to use Lime to build up a survey using standard functions of research projects. I stumbled quite early over, to me, simple requirements and later over several more. I've got a list here…

There shall be a question current number 8 (Q8). It shall be asked if in Q6 or (inclusive Or) Q7 answer Yes was chosen. Using interface, I see alway such filters combined with And statement. Where to find an Or? Or have to change an equation manually (and if, which syntax)?
Last question may be key to a quick addendum if I et forced to use an ExOr statement.

Next, Q7 may hold a list (check boxes, not radio buttons) of 10 answers. Q8 shall be to answer if at last 4 (minimum) options were picked. How to handle this?

Rotations… Again our Q7 above, with an 11th «Don't know» (as exclusive) and built-in Other option. (A) How to rotate only those 10 options, neither Don't know nor Other? (B) How to place Other as 11th element and Don't know as 12th, not Other as alway last one?

Eliminations… Q8 shall show (A) all picked options of Q7 above; and, yes, with Other, or (B) in opposite all not picked ones.

To close for today, I really wonder about «Relevance equation:». What is this? Or, much more, what is this to a questions group? In stupid understanding, I may set an entire group to 0 (›false‹) to skip it. Searching skips and jumps, all I found was this is not part of Lime… What is usage and benefit of this relevance equation, which i it's syntax?

Markus
The topic has been locked.
  • tpartner
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
7 years 10 months ago #136746 by tpartner
Almost all of your questions can be answered by referring to Expression Manager in the manual - manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • tpartner
More
7 years 10 months ago #136747 by tpartner
For the "Rotations" question, a modified version of this workaround should do the trick - manual.limesurvey.org/Workarounds:_Manip...28radio.29_questions

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.
  • holch
More
7 years 10 months ago #136762 by holch
As Tpartner said, you have to read about Expression Manager, because this is the way to go for more complex aspects of questionnaires.

Skip vs. jump: Limesurvey doesn't use jump logic, but skip logic. Either via conditions, or expression manager. I strongly recommend expression manager, because it is a lot more flexible and if you know the basics also a lot quicker.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• MarkusErich
More
7 years 10 months ago #136792 by MarkusErich

Almost all of your questions can be answered by referring to Expression Manager in the manual

It can't. My question is not how it works but to what it is used. What can I control with any kind of expression, where can I do this; and if there is an equation, what in fact will happen in case of true and false?

»Your tool to fasten this plate is as screwdriver«. Manual says how to insert a screwdriver into a screw's slot and to turn it (clockwise). And maybe to stop if it's tight. My problem is: «why shall I fasten this plate» or more «what is to take to solve it» Answer, ›a plate‹. Better answer, ›a plate to close the hole there‹. Then I can ask how to operate, fasten, the plate.
I can write thousands of expressions (my maths shall be good to), but I do not know which sub-problems I can handle, solve with this function.

I strongly recommend Expression Manager, because it is a lot more flexible and if you know the basics also a lot quicker.

And same deadlock again. A workshop with a lot of tools is useless without workpieces and a plan.
How do I have to organize all my workpieces to get an object ready? And with that I can think about tools, bolts, nuts…

This manual is to my personal understanding of situations as so many others. Lots of details, instruments - but no word about why I should us this or that instrument.
»Hang on the picture, please.« »You need a nail.« But no hint why at all, where at the wall, a hammer is need, too, ho deep that nail must be driven into wall (to et picture close to wall or with a tilt). I am missing all that hints.

About JS examples, what are those arguments i feed a function() with? What do I get in hand to handle, how Lime will react in it, where to place such a function() in my questions code? (I ask this knowing what an other tool does to JS and other coding experiments!)

Markus
More
7 years 10 months ago #136795 by Ben_V
You might prefer install some samples surveys and have a look by yourself :unsure:

github.com/LimeSurvey/LimeSurvey/tree/master/docs/demosurveys
  • ls205_array_filter_tests.lss
  • ls205_cascading_array_filter_exclude.lss
  • ls205_cascading_array_filter.lss
  • ls205_comma_as_radix_separator.lss
  • ls205_countifop_sumifop.lss
  • ls205_EM_question_attributes.lss
  • ls205_em_tailoring.lss
  • ls205_em_validation_q.lss
  • ls205_group_relevance.lss
  • ls205_maximum_chars_feature.lss
  • ls205_plurals_test.lss
  • ls205_randomization_group_test.lss
  • ls205_sample_survey_english.lss
  • ls205_sample_survey_multilingual.lss
  • ls205_self_and_that.lss
  • ls205_subquestion_relevance.lss
  • ls205_test_em_sq_validation.lss
  • ls205_validation_tests.lss
  • ls206_em_subquestion_relevance.lss

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
The following user(s) said Thank You: holch, tpartner
  • holch
More
7 years 10 months ago #136816 by holch
@Benoit: Suprised that after this rant there is any answer at all... ;-)

I was thinking about writing something, but I think I won't.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #136831 by Ben_V

holch wrote: I was thinking about writing something, but I think I won't.

Benoît

EM Variables => bit.ly/1TKQyNu | EM Roadmap => bit.ly/1UTrOB4
Last Releases => 2.6x.x goo.gl/ztWfIV | 2.06/2.6.x => bit.ly/1Qv44A1
Demo Surveys => goo.gl/HuR6Xe (already included in /docs/demosurveys)
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Ben_V.
  • MarkusErich
More
7 years 9 months ago #137002 by MarkusErich
Form manual to EM - I do not understand this sequence:
«Questions in a group are only asked if the group as a whole is relevant. Then, only the subset of questions within the group that are relevant are asked.»
First sentence says in result, an entire group (which is it's questions) is ›skipped‹ if group itself is not relevant, valid. Next sentence says, relevant questions within that group will be asked anyway.
So, what is eventually benefit of Relevance Question to a group?

Markus
  • DenisChenu
More
7 years 9 months ago #137013 by DenisChenu
Sentence is unclear .

Group relevance status to 0 : NO question inside group is shown
Group relevance status to 1 : some question can be shown : if none of question in group are relevant : whole group is "not relevant"

Example for G1Q1 + G1Q2 in G1

G1Q1.relevanceSatus == G1Q1.relevanceEquationResult AND G1.relevanceEquationResult
G1Q2.relevanceSatus == G1Q2.relevanceEquationResult AND G2.relevanceEquationResult

G1.relevanceStatus = G1.relevanceEquationResult AND (G1Q1.relevanceEquationResult OR G1Q2.relevanceEquationResult)

If you can clarify the sentence :)

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkusErich, teracomp

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose