Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Ranking - Array by column equivalent to get ranking averages

• lemonlimebitters
  • lemonlimebitters's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #130489 by lemonlimebitters
Hi,
I really like the ranking question layout (and generally think Limesurvey's just great- big thanks to the develpers). To make it work for my survey, I need the answers to the ranking question stored based on the choice rather than the actual rank number.
So for example, based "Rank your favourite colour", in the CSV response file, you currently would get :
responseid123
1bluegreenred
2greenredblue
I would like:
responseidredgreenblue

Is this possible to do with the Ranking question? (This is so we can take an average of the options chosen - among other calculations.)

Note:
I had a look at using an alternative question type, array with unique[self] and using some JS from www.limesurvey.org/forum/can-i-do-this-w...for-ranking-question
in order to get the answers the way we'd like, however it's not usable when there's a long list of options (15+), so the Ranking question type would be best to use.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

lemonlimebitters
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 2 months ago #130490 by first
Selecting below gives codes in export.

Exports results to application -->Responses-->Answer codes

Survey Designer and Programmer
  • lemonlimebitters
  • lemonlimebitters's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 2 months ago #130491 by lemonlimebitters
Thanks OMdev, but I'm not looking for the answer code. I"m looking to traverse the answers, or in other words, replace row with column.
ie. have the answer name (eg. Red) as the column title, and have the rank order (eg. '1' as 1st place) in the row. Similar to how Array by column differs from your usual Array.

lemonlimebitters
More
8 years 2 months ago #130493 by first
create hidden question after ranking question and store ranking order using EM.

Survey Designer and Programmer
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 2 months ago #130509 by holch
Or you reformat this later in your analysis tool.

But there is no way to change the way the question stores its results in the database. Maybe as OMdev suggested by reading the responses into equation questions you might be able to do this. But I am not quite sure how you read the question and transform this later to write it into the equation question.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose