Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

create a cellreference or macro like in excel

More
8 years 6 months ago #124615 by jelo

holch wrote: But depending on the length of the list, these nested ifs could get quite tedious.

The Limesurvey user likes it tedious. The demand for more functions in EM seems to be low. I wonder if a function was added since TMSWhite left the show.

You meant the em-code to set a hidden question, which I stated in the quota thread?
That would mean the equation has to look like this "question2code=answercodeofquestion1"

Why was arrayfilter no option?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 6 months ago #124618 by jelo

Thomassie wrote: {stristr(q1.shown, ' ', 'true')}

Take a look at what the Equation Question Type is all about
manual.limesurvey.org/Question_type_-_Equation

Next you create a Equation Question after your Name drop down selection question. You name the question e.g "fstname"
You put {stristr(q1.shown, ' ', 'true')} in the question text of the Equation question. But switch the editor to the source mode when you paste "{stristr(q1.shown, ' ', 'true')}".
The q1 has to be changed to the questioncode of your Name drop down selection question.

When now a proband selects a name the equation question will extract all characters till the first space.
Now you can insert {fstname} in questiontexts to get the choosen first name displayed.
Tonys method only works if no firstnames are containing a space.

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 6 months ago #124619 by holch
Because the arrayfilter doesn't automatically mark the question? ;-)

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #124620 by holch
Yes, forgot to mention that this works only if the first space is between first name and last name, thank you Jelo for pointing this out.

One question: Shouldn't that expression work directly in the question code already, so you could skip the additional equation question?

I think I will make a little test.

"The Limesurvey user likes it tedious." Don't be so sarcastic. ;-)

I actually think we need some kind of expression manager for creating reports. Something like questioncode.mean, questioncode.max, questioncode.min, questioncode.median (also for subquestions). That would allow to create great custom reports. Then there would have to be a section of Limesurvey where you can provide those custom reports/dashboards to the client, with nice graphics (plenty of them out there)...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• Thomassie
  • Thomassie's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #124621 by Thomassie
Replied by Thomassie on topic create a cellreference or macro like in excel
Thanks guys i'll give it a try. But it wont be till monday.

Your help was much appreciated !!
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #124622 by holch
Gave it a try, works like a charm. Doesn't require the step of the equation question. But if you use the string a lot, it probably makes sense to go for the equation question, because EM doesn't have to process the expression each time. But then, I guess it is not too heavy of a function and I am not sure if there is much difference in performance between calling {stristr(q1.shown, ' ', 'true')} or {fstname}.

One thing: if you use it directly, and the name question hasn't been answered yet (e.g. because they are on the same page), then you get a 'false' instead of the name.

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by holch.
More
8 years 6 months ago #124624 by jelo

holch wrote: Doesn't require the step of the equation question.

The extra steps saves the displayed value inside the results. If there is a bug or a problem, you always know what was choosen by the routine.
It also helps for debugging. If you made a mistake you don't need to change it in every questionstext. Just at one place.

The following user(s) said Thank You: holch
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #124625 by holch
@Jelo: Makes sense. Good advice, especially for debugging just in one place, not in the whole survey.

• Thomassie
  • Thomassie's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #125655 by Thomassie
Replied by Thomassie on topic create a cellreference or macro like in excel
Hello,

with a slight delay (became father last week) I could try it and indeed, it works perfect. Thanks a million.

[SOLVED]
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #125672 by holch
Well congratulations on both then: the baby and the working example... ;-)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose