Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

create a cellreference or macro like in excel

• Thomassie
  • Thomassie's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 6 months ago #124536 by Thomassie
Replied by Thomassie on topic create a cellreference or macro like in excel
Now I get it (almost :) ). How would you ensure that in your insertans23X24... the answercode and not the answertext appears ?

Above question is just nice to know, because you were right, this has no practical use in my survey, because each code has to be unique.

I was hoping that there was some html code that could make part of the answerbox not visible, or something like that.

thanks for the effort, nonetheless !
The topic has been locked.
  • gabrieljenik
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 6 months ago #124537 by gabrieljenik
Replied by gabrieljenik on topic create a cellreference or macro like in excel
If you have more than one "Gabriel", you could make the AnswerCode "Gabriel J" and "Gabriel K".
Or "Gabriel-" and "Gabriel." :)

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Checkout our Reporting Solutions and our plugin shop at www.encuesta.biz .

• Thomassie
More
8 years 6 months ago #124538 by Thomassie
could I make the answercode Gabriel[space] ?
Can you tell me how I can enforce the answercode instead of the answertext to appear ?
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 6 months ago #124539 by holch
You would use Expression Manager for this:
Code:
{yourquestioncode.code}

manual.limesurvey.org/Expression_Manager

While I was doing a mistake in my code above I had a new idea: maybe you can use the assessment value for this? (not sure if you can put letters though). But you would still have a normal answercode. You would need to try it if it works. You can access the assessment value like above, just write "value" instead of "code".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• Thomassie
More
8 years 6 months ago #124540 by Thomassie
Glad you found a solution. But I'm using version 2.05, so I can't use Expression Manager and I can't (am not allowed) to upgrade.

But no worries, the reason for the abbreviation is foremost to install a more informal and natural flow in my survey, so if this doesn't work it's not the end of the world.

thanks again for all the help !!
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #124541 by holch
Expression Manager exists since 1.96 or something, so I don't see why it shouldn't work for you.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• Thomassie
More
8 years 6 months ago #124542 by Thomassie
My bad.

I read this yesterday "Depends on the version you use. Since 2.06 you can use the Expression Manager to hide subquestions/answer options" and I interpreted that expression Manager was only integrated from 2.06, but it probably referred to the hide options.

I have something to work with now. Time to tinker.

thanks !!
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #124544 by holch
Yes, this refers to the option to use relevance equations for subquestions. Before this was only possible for questions.

• Thomassie
More
8 years 6 months ago #124545 by Thomassie
Alas
I cannot use text in the Assessmentbox :(
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago #124549 by holch
This is what I feared. There would be the option to create a second question (hidden) with the same list of respondents (same code) but without the Last name. Then a expression that answers the question based on the reponse to the previous question (which is answered by the respondent). I saw some expression from Jelo showing how to do this. Based on this you can read out the second question instead of the first and you'll only get the first name.

More
8 years 6 months ago #124603 by jelo
@holch: Which expression?
Limesurvey is missing such list functions.

If I got it right, the list of persons is known upfront. And one person is choosen from a drop down list.
This person has a Name surname etc. But from the choosen person the first name (or any other personal name) shoud be used in other questions about that person?

If that is the case, why no use one equation with nested ifs? You use the answercodes of your dropdown question and assign the first name to the equation. Then you use the equation variable in your questions.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • holch
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #124605 by holch
@Jelo: Of course, using an expression with nested ifs would do the trick. But depending on the length of the list, these nested ifs could get quite tedious.

I was thinking to fill a normal single choice question, with just the same list of people as the dropdown, using the same answer codes, but instead of "firstname lastname" I would just display firstname as answer text. the list of names and answer codes could be easily be prepared in Excel and then copied in the quick add feature, which could cope even with longer lists. The second, single choice question would be hidden and via javascript or EM the same answer as for the first dropdown question would be marked in this question and thus you should be able to draw the first name from there.

Just an idea.

But seems like Tony already delivered a function that could solve the problem quite easily (in another thread of the OP).

Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by holch.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose