Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Randomly change the order of bundled question groups?

• uebelo0
  • uebelo0's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #123628 by uebelo0
Dear Forum,
I am just creating my first questionnaire with limesurvey and need a little help. I have 9 question groups and want to have them randomized in a special way. Once there should be an order like this:
1234 5(fixed) 6789
and a second time there should be an order like this:
6789 5(fixed) 1234.
Is it somehow possible to do this? I don´t want to randomize the order within the bundle group (e.g. 2143 or 8679), I just want to have the 2 different question group orders like mentioned above.

Thank you.
uebelo0
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 7 months ago #123629 by jelo
You have a 50% split.
50% : 1234 5(fixed) 6789
50%: 6789 5(fixed) 1234
You will have to duplicate the groups and use a random number between e.g 0 and 1 and to display or hide the groups. You need five groups.
R0: mean display when random number is 0.

R0:1234 R1: 6789 -> 5(fixed) -> R0:6789 R1:1234

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • uebelo0
More
8 years 7 months ago #123630 by uebelo0
Hello jelo, thanks for responding so fast.
I duplicated the groups, brought them in your proposed order "R0:1234 R1: 6789 -> 5(fixed) -> R0:6789 R1:1234" and gave every question group a randomizatio number (0 or 1). After that, I tried to hide/show conditionally the question groups like explained here:
www.limesurvey-consulting.com/how-to-con...roups-in-limesurvey/

Unfortunately the result Is not as I wished it would be. The Survey starts randomly with a question group in the totally wrong order. e.g. 7136 etc. but I need the strict order like I mentioned above. Have you any idea what I am doing wrong?
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 7 months ago #123631 by holch
Did you use question groups or randomization groups. This is something totally different.

What I did not understand was also how you created the randomization number. This should be created once and written into a hidden text question. From this question you create the relevance equations to show and hide. If you have separate creations of random numbers, then they are independent of each other and in theory every random number could be 1 or could be 0.

But an example of what you did here, e.g. export the survey and upload it here.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• uebelo0
More
8 years 7 months ago #123632 by uebelo0
I actually opened every question group and typed in a 0 or a 1 in the field randomization group. With the randomization number I just meant the 0 or the 1 that i typed in the "randomization group" field.

I am not sure if this helps you, because it is a german survey:

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...7(1).lss
File Size:88 KB

I saved my survey before I started to duplicate all the question groups etc.. Could you perhaps explain me step by step what I have to do, after I duplicated the question groups. I am kind of lost at the moment, sorry.
More
8 years 7 months ago #123637 by jelo
Hello again,

Deutsch ist für holch und mich kein Problem.

But back to the topic.

I have added a question group and a randomsource with 0 and 1.
In the next question group I have added a condition to the question.
In the third question group (your second) I have added a relevance to the group.

As long as you only have one question per group you could add a condition to each question.
The condition is to show question when equation is 1. On the other ones is the other way around.

To keep things clean and flexible, I would use the relevance on group level.
You have to edit every group and remove the 1 or 0 in the group randomization field.
That is not needed. This function will shuffle the order of every question group with the same randomization group name. That is not what you want.

If you want to go that way, you can remove the question condition in the second group.

Hope that helps. Look at the first three questionsgroups in the attached survey and carefully check group settings and questions conditions. You will get it.

Gruß auf den Betzenberg.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose