Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Using quotas to prevent new entries

• mstein
  • mstein's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 7 months ago #123360 by mstein
Replied by mstein on topic Using quotas to prevent new entries
Submitted as a feature: bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=9816
Thanks all!
The topic has been locked.
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
8 years 7 months ago #123679 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Using quotas to prevent new entries

holch wrote: I am not sure if this shouldn't be a core feature rather than a plugin. This is clearly something the survey engine itself should handle, I think. But then I am not a developer.

I strongly vote for making this a core feature. Plugins are nice for very special stuff but closing a survey once X completed responses were collected is a common approach at market research surveys.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
More
8 years 7 months ago #123695 by jelo
Replied by jelo on topic Using quotas to prevent new entries
It depends on the way plugins are shipped and tested. When we read the name "plugins" it can come in different forms. In Joomla there are plugins, which are always shipped with the core installation and always activated. The difference is only visible for the programmer, which needs to use a API.

When plugins means, that users need to download them and activate them, then I see a lot less testing of these features. When we look at 2.06+ with all its regressions it might be useful to encapsulate more code.
Currently 2.06+ isn't stable. The bugtracker shows a clear picture. With plugins the debugging can be quicker, because code parts can be easily switched on and off (at least for the programmer). I would suggest to get the wording and the concept clear. I would suggest to introduce coreplugins as name, for functions, which are plugins, but will be shipped activated with the core installation.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
  • Mazi
More
8 years 7 months ago #123696 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Using quotas to prevent new entries
While I agree that using the term "core plugin" makes sense for such basic, non-exotic stuff I still vote to add this filter directly add the code.
It should only take some additional lines since the concept is the same and the flag for filtering ("Q") is already there.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose