Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

to expire survey's session because of inactivity

• emphasis034
  • emphasis034's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #120380 by emphasis034
Good day and hello again limesurvey community,
This time I come bothering with this question:
- Is it possible to set a timer to make the session expire survey because of inactivity of the session?

* Things I've already done:
- Check the manual limesurvey and found that it is possible to limit the time to answer questions from text type and radio.

In my case, I am presenting the survey group by group of questions and I understand that if I put time limit to the next set of questions or something like that would happen ...

The point is that it is necessary to end the session if the respondent has inactivity and can continue later, for this and check the box to save answers and allowed to continue with the unfinished survey.

I understand that this could do with JavaScript and / or PHP, also I understand that Limesurvey is developed under Yii Framework, Could someone guide me in this situation?

Thanks in advance and best regards.
The topic has been locked.
More
8 years 10 months ago #120394 by jelo

emphasis034 wrote: The point is that it is necessary to end the session if the respondent has inactivity and can continue later, for this and check the box to save answers and allowed to continue with the unfinished survey.

Why is it necessary to the session?
Without any tweaking from your site the session will end after a certain amount of time.
This time span is defined via the php.ini variable "session.gc_maxlifetime". The default value is 1440 seconds which is 24 minutes. After 24 minutes of inactivity the session file is marked for deletion. The deletion is controlled via other variables. Since deletion often mean writing to the harddisk it is better to not delete every single session file on its own.

To get a better impression what you can do, take a look here:
stackoverflow.com/questions/520237/how-d...utes/1270960#1270960

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: emphasis034
  • emphasis034
More
8 years 10 months ago #120397 by emphasis034
Replied by emphasis034 on topic to expire survey's session because of inactivity
Thank you very much for your response @jelo, I had previously reviewed the link you shared me.

It is a request, in fact, the time that the client requests to the session expire is 5 minutes.
My limesurvey is installed on an Apache server from a hosting company, I do not have the privileges to modify the php.ini file ...

I have experience in php+mysql but not with Yii, so I was looking a bit about this in Yii Framework and found information on the following link but I need to know where is this in the installation of limesurvey.

www.yiiframework.com/forum/index.php/top...ent-session-timeout/
More
8 years 10 months ago #120409 by jelo
You can take a look at the optional settings to change / add things.
manual.limesurvey.org/Optional_settings#Session_settings

Still eager to know what the logic behind a short 5 min session timeout. Mostly people get angry when they are in the middle of a survey and the session is lost. The only purpose of a short session timeout I can think off is when too many people are rushing the webserver.

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
The following user(s) said Thank You: emphasis034
  • emphasis034
More
8 years 10 months ago #120449 by emphasis034
Replied by emphasis034 on topic to expire survey's session because of inactivity
Thank you very much again for your answer.

Customer logic is that because of the confidentiality of the questions could be seen by agenas or unauthorized persons, so it is intended that if the survey is inactive because the surveyed is not at the computer the session expires, and I exposed the disadvantages of this application but you know ... the idea is not that the session is automatically closed, also think it would be very annoying, say that the idea would be something like that with each user action, surveyed (onclick, onmousemove, onscroll, onkeypress), this counter is restarted. Something as explained in the following link:

stackoverflow.com/questions/22602120/how...n-user-is-not-active

I will try the information you've shared with me.
Greetings.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose