Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How can I use LS to set a Multiple Choice Questions for a University?

More
8 years 11 months ago #118970 by kenno
I just installed LS and have been figuring out how to use it to create computer based test for students of my University.
Eg.
Mathematics Exam.
Question 1.
What is the mean of the numbers: 1 2 3 4 5?
Options

A. 1
B. 2
C. 5
D. 3

Question 2.
What is the mode of the Numbers: 2 3 4 5 2 2?
A. 2
B. 3
C. 4
D. 5
etc

How do I create the question and indicate the correct answers?
How can I make it available for the students to answer?

I have read the manuals and gone through the forum without finding any useful guide. Could anyone please guide me or refer me to a relevant guide?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #118974 by holch
If you went through the forum and the manual and you didn't find AnY useful guide, I guess you were doing something wrong... ;-)

Limesurvey isn't really built for tests but rather for surveys. However, this doesn't mean you can't do what you want to do. The question is, where do you want to show the right answer? All at the end, directly after answering the question, etc.

However, in any way you should look at the Expression Manager. There are some good real life examples in the manual, describing how Expression Manager can help you. I don't think there is an exact example for what you are looking, but with the explanations you should be able to get where you want to.

"How can I make it available for the students to answer". Not sure what you are referring to. But usually Limesurvey is installed on a webserver. So you can either have a open survey and just provide a link to everyone, or if you have a list of students and their emails you can use tokens which allow for personalized links for each respondent.

If you could describe the approach you are looking for a little more, then I am sure we can give you some good tips.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by holch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kenno
More
8 years 11 months ago #118984 by kenno
Thank you,
I have gone through the Expression Manager manual and some sample surveys. I can now see that using ListRadio and Multiple Choice questions will do what I want.

A few more challenges/clarifications:
This is what I have in mind
1. Questions are created for various subjects like Maths, English, etc.
2. Each student logs in with his/her Registration Number. How can I add the participants (students) (I guess this will be imported as tokens?)
3. He/she is presented with the question group (or subject eg. Maths) for that particular day/time
4. Each question is presented one by one per screen with Prev/Next Buttons
5. After answering the questions or at the expiration of allocated time, the test is submitted.
6. An admin will then collate the results for all students in all the subjects.

Now, with the help of the manuals and sample surveys, I can perform tasks 1, 3 (not very confident), 4, and 5.
How can I accomplish tasks 2 and 6.

Kennedy Offor
  • holch
More
8 years 11 months ago #118987 by holch
OK, most things are easily doable. Here some answers regarding your doubts:

2. There is no real login mechanism, as Limesurvey is a survey tool. But you can use the token system to give them an access code. You can include the tokens manually or you can upload a file to the system (which makes more sense for your case).
3. I actually would create different surveys for this, especially if the days for the different topics are different, but you probably could do it within one survey and hide some groups via relevance equations or conditions.
5. The problem that I see here is the timing. Doing timing for single questions is no problem, but for the whole survey it is complicated (if at all possible).
6. What do you mean with collate the results? You can download the responses in various different formats, if it is this what you mean? All results within one survey are exported in one table.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

More
8 years 11 months ago #118998 by kenno
Thank you Sir,
I am getting closer to the solution of my problem.
One more thing, please:

1. How can I add up all the responses to a survey? For instance, If there are 10 questions and the student answers six correctly, is there a way I can, e.g. assign '1' to it if correct and '0' otherwise, then add up all the responses and include them in the result.
  • holch
More
8 years 11 months ago #118999 by holch
There are two ways:

The old version (and less flexible): Assessments
Newer, more flexible: via Expression-Manager.

With the expression manager you could read out the response of the studen, check if it is the correct one and then add to the sum.

• holch
More
8 years 11 months ago #119000 by holch
Actually, I think you probably can join both. You can probably read the assement value of the answer via expression manager and then add them up.

More
8 years 11 months ago #119001 by kenno
Ok. I got that.
Please do you know of any example that could guide me to make it easier for me to just copy and modify?
If not, I may have to go over the Expression Manager Manual again more carefully. I have gone through it without figuring out how to do it.
  • holch
More
8 years 11 months ago #119002 by holch
I think as your case is very specific for your needs, I don't think that there is one example to do so.

Here an example that I use with various questions (one is a matrix question).

Mine is a little bit more complicated. What I do is to check the Matrix question and the response. For some of the subquestions I can use directly the value of the answer, for others I need to administer different points. Not sure if this helps or confuses more:
Code:
sum(CCEB1_1, CCEB1_2, if(CCEB1_3 == 1, 4, if(CCEB1_3 == 2, 5, if(CCEB1_3 == 3, 6, if(CCEB1_3 == 4, 7, 0)))), if(CCEB1_4 == 1, 4, if(CCEB1_4 == 2, 7, if(CCEB1_4 == 3, 9, if(CCEB1_4 == 4, 9, 0)))), if(CCEB1_5 == 1, 3, if(CCEB1_5 == 2, 4, if(CCEB1_5 == 3, 4, if(CCEB1_5 == 4, 4, 0)))), if(CCEB1_6 == 1, 2, if(CCEB1_6 == 2, 2, if(CCEB1_6 == 3, 2, if(CCEB1_6 == 4, 2, 0)))), if(CCEB1_7 == 1, 2, if(CCEB1_7 == 2, 2, if(CCEB1_7 == 3, 2, if(CCEB1_7 == 4, 2, 0)))), if(CCEB1_8 == 1, 4, if(CCEB1_8 == 2, 4, if(CCEB1_8 == 3, 4, if(CCEB1_8 == 4, 4, 0)))), if(CCEB1_9 == 1, 2, if(CCEB1_9 == 2, 2, if(CCEB1_9 == 3, 2, if(CCEB1_9 == 4, 2, 0)))), CCEB2)

More
8 years 11 months ago - 8 years 11 months ago #119004 by kenno
Yes It helped.
In this case, I am using a ListRadio question type with answer options A, B, C, D and E, and codes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 respectively.
I have added another question of type equation with the intention of using it to produce the sum of the options.
How should I write the expression such that if the correct option for question 1 is A, the expression will add 1 if the user selects A and 0 otherwise.
How will I sum all the expressions eventually?

I believe this will be all I need for now.

Thanks
Last edit: 8 years 11 months ago by kenno.
More
8 years 11 months ago #119011 by kenno
Please come to my help
  • tpartner
More
8 years 11 months ago #119012 by tpartner
If you are using radio questions, you can use a combination of assessments and Expression Manager to calculate a score. The Qcode.value variable will return the assessment value for a question.

Enable assessments and place an assessment value of 0 on all but the correct answers. Those get an assessment value of 1.

Then, for example, if you have question codes q1, q2, q3, the following in an equation question will record a "score".

Code:
sum(q1.value, q2.value, q3.value)

Sample survey attached.

File Attachment:

File Name: limesurvey...17-2.lss
File Size:18 KB

Cheers,
Tony Partner

Solutions, code and workarounds presented in these forums are given without any warranty, implied or otherwise.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose