Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

How to customize token language selection list

• maximum
  • maximum's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #117085 by maximum
Hello everyone,

I wish to delete the languages I am not using in the token language selection list. Can someone tell me if there is a file I can modify so I keep only the languages I want?

Page where I edit tokens: Token control/Display tokens/Survey participants/Language

Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
9 years 1 month ago #117091 by holch
I guess this is connected to the whole language system in Limesurvey. I am not sure if you can delete languages from the system. And if you can, it probably would come back with updates. What is the problem with the languages?

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• maximum
More
9 years 1 month ago #117094 by maximum
Hi, Thanks for your input. I am not looking into removing language functionality as such. In the token list I need to select a language for each user. It would be easier if I wouldn't have to go through all the languages in that list. I would like that drop down list to show only the languages I need. I basically want to customize this drop down menu. I have already customized other files that need to be replaced after a LimeSurvey update. I just keep track of them.

I edited the file below but it didn't change the list. This list has to be somewhere :)

/application/libraries/admin/gtranslate/languages.ini
  • holch
More
9 years 1 month ago #117101 by holch
as I said, if I would have to guess, this list is based on the installed languages...

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.

• maximum
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #117103 by maximum
Deleting language folders did not help.

I finally found the file I was looking for : /application/helpers/surveytranslator_helper.php

I deleted all the unused languages in this file and I now have a clean drop down menu. :)

Thanks
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by maximum.
  • holch
More
9 years 1 month ago #117116 by holch
Great! But I guess this will have an impact also on other parts of Limesurvey, not only on the token system. Are you still able to see the other languages in the other language sections (eg. Translation, login, etc)?

One other thing: You are aware that you can upload the token list as CSV and include a column for the language in this file, so you don't have to do this in the GUI, right?

• maximum
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #117120 by maximum
It does seem to eliminate the option of selecting these extra languages everywhere else, which is good. Although, I am not sure if editing this file is the only reason. I also deleted the individual language folders and edited languages.ini before. It would be nice to have a GUI setting to deselect unused languages throughout the system.

Yes, I knew I could customize the language in a CSV file. I want to do it in GUI to make sure reminders are sent with the right language.
  • holch
More
9 years 1 month ago #117121 by holch
I agree, it would be good to have an option to not install all languages, because while it is great that Limesurvey exists in so many languages, most of us might need 1, 2 or maybe 3 on a regular basis and all the other languages are just ocupying space. But then, today space isn't the biggest deal anymore.

I would recommend to save your modified file, because with every update there is a risk that this file is overwritten and goes back to the original list.

• maximum
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #117122 by maximum
I added a comment to my previous post regarding the possible reason of the disappearance of extra languages throughout the system.

Languages could be installed but an option in the GUI to deselect them permanently would be good.

Thanks for the recommendation. I always keep track of the files I modify. I prefer re-editing the files after an update rather than reloading the edited files in case the file structure of LimeSurvey changes.
  • holch
More
9 years 1 month ago #117123 by holch
This makes sense, especially as this change should be quite easy (delete all languages that are not necessary), once you know which file is responsible for it.

Good to see that you tought about it. Not everyone thinks this step ahead and then many are suprised that their modifications are gone after an update. ;-)

• maximum
More
9 years 1 month ago #117132 by maximum
I learned by trial and error.

I wish to thank the LimeSurvey team for their great work on this nice piece of software.

Do I need to make the suggestion somewhere else?
  • holch
More
9 years 1 month ago #117133 by holch
Which suggestion exactly? If you want something added/changed to Limesurvey you need to add it as a feature request to the bugtracker and hope that others support it or that one of the developers thinks it is a good idea and has time to implement it.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose