Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 6 months ago #105551

• mbarrera
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 2
I´ve installed Limesurvey Versión 2.05+ Build 140125.

I have a set of labels with 8 characters of code like: 35000568. For importing this set of labels I needed to change the value of the field code in the table lime_labels to 8 characters.

My problem is when I need to apply this set of labels as response options to a question. When I try to do it, I can´t do it and appears the message: Failed upgrade options.

What do you think is my problem?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 6 months ago #105576

• DenisChenu
  • Moderator Lime
  • Thank you received: 1024
HI,

Because answer code max width are 5 characters : varchar(5).

Denis
PS:
I needed to change the value of the field code in the table lime_labels to 8 characters.
We don't support hacked LimeSUrvey version.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by DenisChenu.

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 6 months ago #105582

• mbarrera
  • Fresh Lemon
  • Thank you received: 2
I found it :)

In ../application/models/Answer.php I changed the value 5 for 8 in the followin function:

public function rules()
{
return array(
array('qid','numerical', 'integerOnly'=>true),
array('code','length', 'min' => 1, 'max'=>8),
array('answer','LSYii_Validators'),
array('sortorder','numerical', 'integerOnly'=>true,'allowEmpty'=>true),
array('assessment_value','numerical', 'integerOnly'=>true,'allowEmpty'=>true),
array('language','length', 'min' => 2, 'max'=>20),// in array languages ?
array('scale_id','numerical', 'integerOnly'=>true,'allowEmpty'=>true),
);
}
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by mbarrera. Reason: color
The following user(s) said Thank You: dglp

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 3 weeks ago #111562

• dglp
  • Fresh Lemon
This looks much like the question I want to ask, so I'm adding my query here instead of on a new post.

Am initially wondering why the Answer Code character length is limited to 5. I would like to use longer alphabetic strings to ease later identification.

Looking at Table: phu_answers in phpMyAdmin, am thinking that the character length of the code column could simply be changed from 5 to a higher number.

The line in Answer.php highlighted by mbarrera looks like it amounts to the same thing.

So the question still remains, would modifying that break something else? :blink:

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 3 weeks ago #111566

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 501
Every update could break your installation. If the file you are chaning is updated it will go back to the default length.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 3 weeks ago #111670

• dglp
  • Fresh Lemon
Interestingly, changing that number had no effect on the code field.
I wonder if the control element I want is somewhere else.

Meanwhile, I'm also still wondering why the number is set to 5 in the the first place.

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 2 weeks ago #111674

• holch
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 501
Meanwhile, I'm also still wondering why the number is set to 5 in the the first place.

That would trigger another question: why would you need more than 5 digits in the first place? ;-)

The question code exists to give a unique code to the questions. 5 digits should be enough. That gives you quite a few combinations and probably your database engine runs into a limit before you run into the limit of a 5 digit code.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 2 weeks ago #111678

• dglp
  • Fresh Lemon
Having a longer string would make it possible to create aides-memoire for development/documentation purposes.

While I'm trying to figure out how to structure a survey, and how to write workable expressions, it's really helpful to have answers labeled in ways that are really easy to identify.

Even a short mnemonic like Q15Sq3A4 would help.

Of course, I still can't make meaningful changes; the way the GUI is set up also needs changing, as it is running some sort of check on the field, and disallows anything longer than 5 characters.

Looks like the only workable option is to print out the xml, and draw lots of pencil lines from one bit to another. :blink:
Last Edit: 1 year 2 weeks ago by dglp.

Problems applying predefined set of labels to answers 1 year 2 weeks ago #111713

• Mazi
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 334
You can file a feature request at our Bugtracker to support longer answer codes.

Note that this could involve quite some re-coding depending on how deep in the system and how often the codes are referenced. I assume that if this was a simple change, we would already have increased the number but I may be wrong.

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds