Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Survey Data Imported: 75 Questions Became 300+ Variables...Help Please

Survey Data Imported: 75 Questions Became 300+ Variables...Help Please 5 months 4 weeks ago #100903

Hello. I am having a problem importing an SPSS file. The 75 question survey seems like it has been broken up into over 300 variables based on all of the possible answers to the questions (from multiple choice to yes no for all possible responses). How can I get the data file as I designed the survey from 75 questions? When I get the summary data in html or PDF or Word from LimeSurvey from the 30+ responses, it still reports the data within the 75 question variable format (descriptive data only), but when exported to SPSS or Excel the data appears coded to a variable for each possible answer. What did I do wrong and how do I fix it? I have followed the instructions in the manual with the direct link and run all, so something else must be going on here. Please help!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Survey Data Imported: 75 Questions Became 300+ Variables...Help Please 5 months 3 weeks ago #100905

• mdekker
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Thank you received: 68
Multiple choice means that each answer can be given so it is not really one question / answer combination but one question with multiple answers that all individually can be true or false (checked or unchecked) If you sort your data in excel on one of the multiple choice columns you can see how this helps analysis. This is the way it is designed to work.

If you want to combine all the answers from one question to be in one answer column you need to take a closer look at the variable names. You can see the question code and a suffix for all possible answers. Use that and the tool of your choice to do the work.

If there was only one possible answer you chose the wrong question format.
---
Menno Dekker

Survey Data Imported: 75 Questions Became 300+ Variables...Help Please 5 months 3 weeks ago #100926

Thank you for your response. What should I have chosen then for a Likert-scale type question with the four options: SD, D, A, SA? And how do I fix this in SPSS now? The spreadsheet looks very odd and I need to conduct factor analysis and regression analysis. Excel does look clearer but it does not contain the 300+ variable since it hit its max. Any advice is appreciated.
Moderators: ITEd
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds
Donation Image