Willkommen, Gast
Benutzername: Passwort: Angemeldet bleiben:

THEMA: limesurvey versions for portable devices...android?

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 4 Monate 3 Wochen her #115297

• DenisChenu
  • DenisChenus Avatar
  • Moderator Lime
  • Dank erhalten: 957
Hi,

A system to : "export as HTML5 survey one page" can be really a better solution, after using some tool like Convertigo or mulberry or OpenMeap(because this 3 to have (a)GPL feature) ....

But at the end , we can save the survey(s) in the phone, but we need a connexion to send response to the server.

All can be done, but all take dev time (then money).

Denis
PS: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_application_development
Letzte Änderung: 4 Monate 3 Wochen her von DenisChenu.
Der Administrator hat öffentliche Schreibrechte deaktiviert.

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 4 Monate 3 Wochen her #115300

• holch
  • holchs Avatar
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Dank erhalten: 460
> The offline/online problem might be getting less as mobile internet access is getting better.

Maybe in Germany. Here it will be a problem for years to go. Maybe not in the major cities, but in the interior of the country, 3G will not make it any time soon.

So offline mode is definitely something very interesting. Will have to have a look how survey gizmo solves that. CAPI is not dead, I can assure you. I have more requests than ever for that methodology. Of course they all would prefer to do it "Online CAPI", but that is just not always possible, because 3G isn't that reliable.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 4 Monate 3 Wochen her #115301

• holch
  • holchs Avatar
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Dank erhalten: 460
I know a few ASP based solutions that allow the download of the same questionnaire as used online and then respond. It is a hybrid, because if there is connection, it sends responses immediately to the server. If there is no connection the responses are stored locally and are send to the server, once the connection is there.

A interesting project for offline data collection is the OpenDataKit, but it is quite limited and requires yet another solution, so a Limesurvey offline mode would be great.
Have a look at the manual! It is a really valuable source for information. Here some helpful links:
Manual (EN) | Question Types | Question Attributes | Workarounds

If you found this answer helpful and it saved you some time please consider a donation to the project to keep Limesurvey going!

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 4 Monate 3 Wochen her #115317

• Mazi
  • Mazis Avatar
  • LimeSurvey Team
  • Dank erhalten: 322
I think the biggest challenge is to temporarily store the data locally and upload it when a connection is available. You need to make sure the data structure is fixed and the survey the data should be uploaded to doesn't change.
Besides the technical challenges there is also a lot of user right and security issues involved when coding this.

From my point of view having a kind of installer for Android devices to install Webserver + PHP + MySQL + Limesurvey sounds like a doable approach.
I assume that most Android devices should be capable of running a webserver locally. You can easily port data to a central webserver running Limesurvey by using VV export/import once an internet connection is available.

That's just my 2 cents. I have no idea about the capabilities of the most sold Android devices when it comes to running a webserver locally.
My assumption is that in developing countries most devices are Android based but again I have no numbers for that.

How did others solve this so far? Do you use other tools/software? Do you run Limesurvey locally?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
(Limesurvey Head of Support)
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 Monate 2 Wochen her #116280

• id_wahyu
  • id_wahyus Avatar
  • Junior Lime
Hi Marcel.
Here at my office, for almost 1 year, we are using LS on CAPI/offline mode with help from KSWEB [pay bit money for unlimited devices] and everything ok.
Export VV forma, and send by android-ftp to server - once have internet connection, and import manually.
So far the only issue we have is about the time-zone.
For some reasons, at all Android tablet we need to put "7" [for Singapore time zone] at Global Setting - General - Time difference (in hour).
I have no idea why, but that’s solve the date/timing issue. Any advice will be appreciated.

Regards
Iwan Wahyu

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 Monate 2 Wochen her #116283

• Mazi
  • Mazis Avatar
  • LimeSurvey Team
Hi Iwan,

thanks for sharing your experience.

1. Do you have automated the process of uploading the data once Internet access is available?

2. How do you make sure to not upload duplicates/already uploaded data?

3. Can you outline to what extend and what for KSWEB is used?

Thanks!

Dr. Marcel Minke

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 Monate 2 Wochen her #116284

• id_wahyu
  • id_wahyus Avatar
  • Junior Lime
Hi Mazi.
1. Nope, we still use the manual way, in term of: export to VV, encrypted zip, and send by ftp to our server. Ideally all this step done by each interviewer from their place/home.

2. In office: the supervisor responsible to control the response ID for each VV send from each device. So in short: all still manual way.

Comparing with other survey application that we used as well [NIPO Nfield CAPI, Voxco],LS is need more manual work. BUT, everything have their own price.

3. KSWEB: used mainly for webserver, PHP and mySQL. Not that familiar with their other features.

Regards
Iwan Wahyu

limesurvey versions for portable devices...android? 3 Monate 2 Wochen her #116285

• Mazi
  • Mazis Avatar
  • LimeSurvey Team
Thanks for your feedback.

Automating these processes would be a huge benefit but that also means a lot of work.

Dr. Marcel Minke
Ladezeit der Seite: 0.144 Sekunden
Donation Image