Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Alwasys hidden vs relevance

• fransmarcelissen
  • fransmarcelissen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #115431 by fransmarcelissen
Alwasys hidden vs relevance was created by fransmarcelissen
I noticed a small but important difference between setting the relevance of a question to 0 and setting a question to "always hidden". Maybe this is known to everyone, in that case sorry to bother you.

If a question has relevance 0, it is skipped and not set. That means that it also does not have the default value. If it has relevance <>0, but it is "always hidden", it is invisible, but evaluated, and has the default value. This especially very useful with input parameters.

My question is: is this difference intended?
Is there a way to set a question to "always hidden" using em (other than setting the relevance to 0)? I know this can be done with javascript, does anyone have an example of this?

Thanks
Frans
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by fransmarcelissen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dwehrmann
The topic has been locked.
More
9 years 3 months ago #115657 by dwehrmann
Replied by dwehrmann on topic Alwasys hidden vs relevance
Interesting find, thanks for pointing this out, fransmarceslissen!
  • Mazi
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
  • Official LimeSurvey Partner
More
9 years 3 months ago #115710 by Mazi
Replied by Mazi on topic Alwasys hidden vs relevance

fransmarcelissen wrote: My question is: is this difference intended?
Is there a way to set a question to "always hidden" using em (other than setting the relevance to 0)? I know this can be done with javascript, does anyone have an example of this?

I assume that this is intended. If a relevance validates to FALSE, the question is left out and thus no data is stored because the conditions set are not met.
If I remember correctly the "always hide this question" setting worked similar when it was introduced but that was changed due to the advantages you mentioned (I'd like to add "Passing information by URL into hidden questions." as another benefit).

What do you plan by set a question to "always hidden" using em ? What's the goal?

Best regards/Beste Grüße,
Dr. Marcel Minke
Need Help? We offer professional Limesurvey support: survey-consulting.com
  • fransmarcelissen
  • fransmarcelissen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
9 years 3 months ago #115850 by fransmarcelissen
Replied by fransmarcelissen on topic Alwasys hidden vs relevance
I have a survey where I want the user to fill in a question just once, without the option of changing the answer. So I want to hide the question if it has a value. This can not be done by setting the relevance.
In general, this is not a big issue. And I assume that "always hidden" means always hidden.....
Frans

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose