Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Multiple choice with comments: check several boxes before entering comments?

• sD960
  • sD960's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 2 months ago #104033 by sD960
The "multiple choice with comments" question seems to be set up so that as each box is checked, the survey-taker must enter comments in the corresponding text-box before checking another box--otherwise the previous box unchecks itself. Some survey-takers prefer to check a box and immediately comment, check another box and immediately comment, etc., so they have no problem. But other survey-takers prefer to check all the appropriate boxes and then make all the comments, and they then mistakenly think that the survey question will not accept more than one checked box--and we, the survey-makers, do not get all the data we would otherwise collect. Is there any way around this, short of the somewhat awkward one of including instructions (e.g., "Please comment for each checked box before checking another box") as part of the question?
Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
  • DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 2 months ago #104066 by DenisChenu
Hi,

You can put a feature request i think, otr maybe a bug report.

But you can update the JS used here: add a js function in your template.js
doMultipleChoiceWithComments(qID,when)
And look at scripts/multiplechoice_withcomments.js for inspiration.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
  • sD960
More
10 years 2 months ago #104084 by sD960
Thanks for your response. I'm not a programmer, but will pass on your suggestion to someone who not only knows what JS stands for (as I do), but who knows how to use it (as I don't).

Meanwhile, I will put in a feature request, as I think this would be a useful change--as I said in my original post, the current structure of the multiple-choice-with-comments question contributes to incomplete data collection.
  • DenisChenu
More
10 years 2 months ago #104085 by DenisChenu
And why not use advanced settings to "deactivate control on checkbox" ?

Then : no javascript is done when user check/uncheck checkbox or fill/empty input text.

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
  • sD960
More
10 years 2 months ago #104095 by sD960
Ah yes--setting "remove text or uncheck box automatically" to "no" (in advanced settings) solves the problem. I didn't do that before because I didn't notice that option. I still think the default ought to be that the surveyee can check boxes and enter comments in any order, rather than that the survey designer has to fish around in advanced settings to make that happen, and I'll suggest so to Lime--but again, this solves the problem.

Thanks loads!
  • DenisChenu
More
10 years 2 months ago #104151 by DenisChenu
Hi,

Default are the same way than old version, then when user update there are no change here. :)

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose