Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Pivoting and grouping statistics for export

• mgib134
  • mgib134's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 11 months ago #94984 by mgib134
For example, the standard statistics export generates something like this:
NameCompanyHow are you today?
John DoeABC CompanyI'm fine
Jane DoeXYZ CompanyI'm lousy

Is there any built in pivot/grouping ability? The desired output would look like this:

CompanyABC CompanyXYZ Company
NameJohn DoeJane Doe
How are you today?I'm fineI'm lousy

What we're looking for is a list of responses by question, grouped either according to a question response or a token attribute. What would be the easiest way to generate a report like this?
The topic has been locked.
  • holch
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
10 years 11 months ago #94986 by holch
Hmmm, I am not sure if I get this right. At the end of the day your information is the same, just the columns switched for lines.

This could be easily done in Excel with the function "transpose".

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• mgib134
More
10 years 11 months ago #94989 by mgib134
Replied by mgib134 on topic Pivoting and grouping statistics for export
What we're actually trying to do more complicated, the columns needs to be grouped twice (Company, department) and the rows need to be grouped according to question group.

Company 1Company 2
SalesSafetyShippingReceiving
Sales Respondent 1Sales Respondent 2Safety RespondentShipping 1 RespondentShipping 2 RespondentReceiving Respondent
Group 1
Question1Value 1Value 1Value 1Value 1Value 1Value 1
Question2Value 2Value 2Value 2Value 2Value 2Value 2
Question3Value 3Value 3Value 3Value 3Value 3Value 3
Group 2
Question1Value 1Value 1Value 1Value 1Value 1Value 1

So Sales and Safety are departments of Company 1, and shipping and receiving are departments of Company 2, where both Company and Department are determined by questions in the survey.
  • holch
More
10 years 11 months ago #94996 by holch
You won't be able to do these cross tabulations (that's what we call it in market research) in Limesurvey.

Limesurvey is a tool for data collection (and has some basic reporting features so you can follow the results during fieldtime). Now what you are looking for is an analysis after the completion of the fieldwork I assume.

I would recommend to look for software that is specialized on this type of analysis. SPSS is fairly common, but there are many other options. You can actually do this in Excel as well (Pivot or dynamic tables).

Another tool might be Sofastatistics.com.

I answer at the LimeSurvey forum in my spare time, I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH employee.
No support via private message.

• mgib134
More
10 years 11 months ago #94997 by mgib134
Replied by mgib134 on topic Pivoting and grouping statistics for export
Currently we're using C#/MS SQL to pull straight from the database, I was just hoping there might be an easier way - the aggregation queries are getting a little out of hand. Is there an available schema/diagram for the database? We've been able to figure out a good deal of it, but some of the structure is a little non-intuitive.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose