Welcome to the LimeSurvey Community Forum

Ask the community, share ideas, and connect with other LimeSurvey users!

Participant interrupting filling out the questionnaire

• lilahtee
  • lilahtee's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 3 months ago #89616 by lilahtee
Hey!

We are planning to make a quite long questionnaire (at least 1 hour to fill it out). Is it possible for participants to save their progress, interupt filling out the questionnaire, and come back to it later?

I guess this works only if each individual has a personal log in code?

Thanks!
The topic has been locked.
More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #89619 by jelo
That is possible.
There is a option "Participants may save and resume later" in the survey settings.

Participant may save and resume later?: This setting allows a participant to save his responses and resume to answer the survey at a later time. Please note that this makes most sense with open surveys or surveys with anonymized answer. If you are using tokens and the survey is not anonymous in most cases it is better to activate 'Token-based response persistence' in the token tab.

Personally I would try to get valid results from an one hour survey.
What is the topic of the survey?

The meaning of the word "stable" for users
www.limesurvey.org/forum/development/117...ord-stable-for-users
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by jelo.
  • lilahtee
  • lilahtee's Avatar Topic Author
More
11 years 3 months ago #89631 by lilahtee
Thanks for the answer!

We are doing psychological research about recovery from work effort.

I don`t quite understand why saving the progress works best with open surveys or surveys with anonymized answers. How do you save your progress and resume it later if you don´t have a password? (I guess open surveys don´t have passwords?)

Anyways we can not use complitely anonymized survey because our goal is to follow the same participants for 2 years after the baseline measurement.

Does activating "token-based response persitance" mean that the participant can not save his/her progress and resume later?
More
11 years 3 months ago #89634 by jelo
These are two options to go. You can resume via cookie with open surveys.
But in your case you choose the "Token-based response persistence" option and allow people to resume survey via their token.

• DenisChenu
  • LimeSurvey Community Team
More
11 years 3 months ago #89639 by DenisChenu
Without token table or without activating " Enable token-based response persistence? "

The user have to enter a name and a password. To get back to is saved response he had to fill the name and the password.

Denis

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.
More
11 years 3 months ago #89642 by jelo
If the participants are allowed to edit there answers later and response persistence is activated, you don't need to offer the resume button.

If they just use the token again, the survey is accessable with current answers.

I'm unaware about the condition (think it's when the session cookie is deleted) when the survey is not directly resumed but started from the first question. That may be a problem. Might be a feature request to allow resume question position with tokenbased access without using the classic save and resume dialog.

The classic resume dialog is currently a showstopper, because too many fields are mandatory. But for for longterm projects like this one it might accepted by the field.

• DenisChenu
More
11 years 3 months ago #89648 by DenisChenu

jelo wrote: ...
The classic resume dialog is currently a showstopper, because too many fields are mandatory. But for for longterm projects like this one it might accepted by the field.

Yes , you can show "Resume later" button, but this button have to "only" do a submit without changing page and without test if all mandatory question was answered.

Like 1.92 system.

See bug #7025 : bugs.limesurvey.org/view.php?id=7025

Denis
PS: I'm faster than jelo :P

Assistance on LimeSurvey forum and LimeSurvey core development are on my free time.
I'm not a LimeSurvey GmbH member, professional service on demand , plugin development .
I don't answer to private message.

Lime-years ahead

Online-surveys for every purse and purpose